Maduro, who says recent protests have been little more than opposition efforts to foment violence and topple his government, has called on supporters of the ruling Socialist Party to hold a competing march in Caracas.
Their repeated attempts this month to march to government buildings in downtown Caracas have been beaten back by riot police firing tear gas and pepper spray.
Crowds swelled to hundreds of thousands, including Maduro supporters who held a counter-demonstration in the capital at the urging of the president.
At least six protesters have died this month in the most intense wave of antigovernment anger since 2014.
Capriles, who Deutsche Welle calls "the opposition's most promising candidate for the coming elections in 2018", was banned last week from holding office for 15 years - a move Capriles says he does not recognize.
A 17-year-old boy died after being shot by an unidentified man on a motorcycle in the head, witnesses said.
David Smolansky, mayor of the municipality of El Hatillo and an opposition leader, captured this scene Wednesday afternoon of anti-government protesters crossing the Guaire River in Caracas to escape tear gas smoke. Prosecutors confirmed the death.
Anti-government protesters rest during a break in clashes with security forces in Caracas, Venezuela, Wednesday, April 19, 2017.
President Nicolas Maduro may be struggling to feed Venezuela but his socialist administration still managed to make a $500,000 donation to Donald Trump's inauguration, records released Wednesday show. "Venezuela remains mired in a deep economic crisis", International Monetary Fund authors wrote in its World Economic Outlook, CNN reported.
Riot police take position while clashing with demonstrators.
Nicole Kidman Takes on Colin Farrell in 'The Beguiled' Trailer
The original Don Siegel-directed film version of The Beguiled came out in 1971 and starred Clint Eastwood and Geraldine Page. Soon the house is taken over with sexual tension, rivalries, and an unexpected turn of events.
"I have a two-year-old son to support and I am unemployed, and it is all Maduro's fault".
Recent moves by Maduro to tighten his grip on power and ban Capriles from politics have escalated the country's political and economic crisis and sparked worldwide cries of concern.
The opposition has repeatedly accused the government of sending groups of armed thugs to attack protesters.
"We have to end this dictatorship".
"We were on a motorbike and they were following us, shooting", her boyfriend said.
Maduro has charged that the opposition is trying to relive the 2002 coup against Chavez, his predecessor and mentor, by blocking roads and vandalizing public property. Maduro, speaking at a meeting with high-ranking political and military officials, denounced the USA statement as a "green light and approval of a coup process".
The centre-right opposition has called for the military - a pillar of Maduro's power - to abandon him.
To calm the military, which the opposition has been actively courting into participating in the resistance, Maduro has also announced something he is calling the "Zamora Plan", which Agence-France Presse (AFP) describes as "a military, police and civilian operation aimed at combatting a supposed coup attempt" organized by America.
In Washington, US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson expressed concerns to reporters Wednesday that the "government of Maduro is violating its own constitution and is not allowing the opposition to have their voices heard, nor allowing them to organize in a way that expresses the views of the Venezuelan people". Moreno was shot in the head, they said.





Comments