Teenager killed as Venezuelans march against government

Adjust Comment Print

A 17-year-old boy and a woman died after being shot Wednesday during massive protests against Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, bringing to seven the number killed this month in a mounting political crisis.

The scene grew violent after Maduro put troops on the streets and gave guns to pro-government civil militias, ignoring calls from 11 neighboring countries and the United States to respect citizens' right to protest.

The Libertador district encompasses part of the capital metro area's central and western zones and is the area where key government buildings are located. "But it's hard because when government supporters see you with a camera they send motorcycles to try and grab it from you", he added.

A demonstrator throws back a tear gas canister during clashes with security forces at a protest in Caracas. The death reportedly happened during an attack on a group of protesters in the working-class San Bernardino barrio.

The excessive ambition of [our] enemies threatens the peace and stability by carrying out a criminal agenda loaded with hate that includes terrorist acts, disturbances, looting, vandalism, different forms of violence against innocent people and public health facilities.

"Today there were millions of us", senior opposition leader Henrique Capriles told a news conference late Wednesday.

Opposition demonstrators clash with riot police during the so called "mother of all marches" against Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro in Caracas, Venezuela, April 19, 2017.

"I came to march because I believe in this country and I want our youth to have a future; Venezuelans want to stay", said Mercedes Expósito, 53, who told NBC News that people say they want to stay in the marches though they're "choking from the tear gas; they will wait until the government runs out of its bombs". On Wednesday alone more than 500 protesters were arrested nationwide, according to Penal Forum, a local NGO that provides legal assistance to detainees.

The last election held in Venezuela, the parliamentary election of 2015, gave the opposition a majority.

Bill O'Reilly Out at Fox News After Sexual Harassment Claims
Of course, it is also fair to say that Carlson's show benefitted from having O'Reilly's consistent presence as a ratings lead-in. His ouster came after reports that five women had been paid millions of dollars to keep quiet about harassment allegations.

"We're a peaceful people, but we're also armed", Energy Minister Luis Motta Dominguez told state workers gathering for Wednesday's rally.

He's been deported twice and survived bandits, trains and swamps, but this Honduran immigrant remains hopeful about reaching the U.S.

In Washington on Wednesday, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said America is "concerned that the government of Maduro is violating its own constitution and not allowing the opposition to have their voices heard". Although she doesn't expect change overnight, she said protesting is the only option she has after what she says are abuses committed by the government.

"This is like a chess game and each side is moving whatever pieces they can", said Machuca, her face covered in a white, sticky substance to protect herself from the noxious effects of tear gas.

The opposition's mobilization comes amid weeks of protests as Maduro faces increasing scrutiny overseas and within his own government after the country's top court last month tried to grab power from the opposition-controlled congress.

They included state workers like Leidy Marquez, who was bused in from Tachira state on the other side of teh country.

Even while accusing the US of trying to overthrow him, Maduro has been careful not to antagonize the new USA president. He also said authorities in recent hours had rounded up unnamed members of an underground cell of conspirators at Caracas hotels, including some who were allegedly planning to stir up violence at the march.

Foreign governments are also warning about the increasingly bellicose rhetoric coming from the government.

Maduro has urged his supporters, the military, and civilian militias to defend the socialist "revolution" launched by his predecessor Hugo Chavez in 1999.

Comments