Stephens' mother, Maggie Green, told CNN the oldest of her three children came by her house Saturday afternoon.
Police received multiple reports from people who said they saw the suspect wanted for shooting a Cleveland retiree and posting video of the apparently random killing on Facebook.
Robert Godwin Jr. said his father, a retired foundry worker, left behind nine children, 14 grandchildren and a lot of great grandchildren.
Officials in the OH city said they were looking for Steve Stephens in connection with the one confirmed killing but had found no evidence to support what police said was a claim he made in the video of having killed more than a dozen other people. Williams said the family is in the process of setting up an official GoFundMe page that will be released later Monday through the police department.
"Obviously he's got deep, deep issues", Williams said.
Even though police original stated the video was posted to Facebook Live, the company said the slaying was shared after it happened.
She told CBS News in a text message that she was "sorry that all of this has happened".
"On behalf of the Supreme Council and the members of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Incorporated, we lift our honest and heartfelt prayers and condolences of comfort to the families impacted by the recent shooting in Cleveland, Ohio", it said.
"We know that Steve is still out there". The gun is fired, the man recoils and falls to the ground.
Facebook to review practices after Cleveland man posted killing video
Police were searching for a white Ford Fusion that belongs to the suspect. OH police are stepping up efforts to capture the suspect, Steve W.
Officers have searched dozens of places around the city and spoke with the suspect by mobile phone, police said. They converged on Fairmount Park, WPVI said, but so far, no one has been found.
Chief Williams warned residents to be careful as the go about their day. Green told CNN that he told her that if she sees him again, it will "be a miracle".
"Unfortunately, there's been one fatality, one homicide in this entire scenario, and we want to keep it that way".
Calvin Williams said Sunday that he's urging Steve Stephens to turn himself in and not to "do anymore harm to anybody".
Authorities say Stephens did not have a criminal record.
"This man is risky and he could be nearby, he could be far away, anywhere in between", said Stephen Anthony, the Federal Bureau of Investigation special agent in charge. He was last seen south of Interstate 90 in the area of East 93rd Street.
"We are hoping that the Cleveland police will be able to apprehend Mr. Stephens as soon as possible and before anyone else is injured", Kortemeyer said in a statement.
"We're going to make this individual's world very, very, very small", he said.
He could also be in New York, Indiana or Michigan, WLS-TV noted. He has a full beard.



Comments