North Korea: Mike Pence says 'strategic patience is over' in White

Adjust Comment Print

Speaking in Seoul next to South Korea's acting president Hwang Kyo-ahn, Pence warned North Korea to end its nuclear program and referred to the bombings in Syria and Afghanistan as proof of US resolve.

And speaking today at the border of the heavily-mined demilitarized zone which bisects the peninsula, Mr Pence sounded a similar note.

Although North Korea's longtime ally China has urged Pyongyang to stop testing nuclear weapons and missiles, Kimball believes Beijing is more anxious about a conflict on the peninsula sparking a refugee crisis that spills across China's borders.

To date, United Nations resolutions have failed to deter North Korea from pursuing nuclear weapons.

On Sunday, Trump made a passing reference to North Korea in a tweet about China.

"What's so bad about [the United States' pre-emptive strike threat] is that you essentially get a stand off, with North Korea having nuclear weapons, the USA having nuclear weapons, but the North Korea not being able to use them anywhere without being turned into a charcoal briquette", Cumings observed.

A White House foreign policy adviser traveling with Pence said no US response to the missile launch was expected because there was no need for the U.S.to reinforce the failure.

Also, K.T. McFarland, Trump's deputy national security adviser, wouldn't comment on whether the USA sabotaged North Korea's missile test, told Fox News.

"The message of the people of the United States of America is that we seek peace, but America has always sought peace through strength and my message here today standing with USA forces Korea, standing with courageous soldiers from the Republic of Korea is a message of resolve".

"We will defeat any attack and we will meet any use of conventional or nuclear weapons with an overwhelming and effective response", Pence said, adding that when it came to North Korea "all options are on the table". On Thursday, the US military said it had dropped the largest non-nuclear device it had unleashed in combat on a network of caves and tunnels used by Islamic State in Afghanistan.

UK's top lawyer tries to block Iraq war case against Blair
Mr ar-Ribat's lawyers, Michael Mansfield QC and Imran Khan, claim Judge Snow made "glaring errors of law" in his ruling. Khan added that: "Everybody, including the attorney general, should welcome this court case".

In addition, Hong went on to argue that "we should all be mystified that successive USA presidents have tried to outsource their foreign policy in the Asia Pacific to China, as if they hold the same interests in the Asia Pacific region", and speculated that the "real target" of Trump's saber-rattling in the Korean peninsula is not North Korea, but China.

"It's very hard to discern what's real and what's for show, but they certainly want to convey the impression that they have improved their nuclear capabilities", Frank Lavin, former US ambassador to Singapore, told CNBC.

The bottom line, McMaster said, is to stop the North's weapons development and make the Korean Peninsula nuclear-free. The adviser spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the administration's initial understanding of the launch.

Last week, Trump said he would not declare China a currency manipulator, pulling back from a campaign promise. She advised patience with China on the issue.

"The president has made clear that he will not accept the United States and its allies and partners in the region being under threat from this hostile regime with nuclear weapons", McMaster continued.

Pence placed a wreath at Seoul National Cemetery and then worshipped with military personnel at an Easter church service at the U.S. Army Garrison Yongsan. That led North Korea to issue routine threats of attacks on its rivals if they show signs of aggression.

Initial reports indicate the projectile launched on Sunday was a medium-range missile, not an intercontinental ballistic missile, and failed after about four or five seconds, a White House foreign policy adviser told reporters.

China in February banned coal imports from North Korea after the murder, leading to a rare public spat after Pyongyang accused Beijing of "dancing to the tune of the U.S".

Major Chinese travel agencies also told AFP they have stopped offering tours to North Korea due to lack of interest. Recent satellite imagery suggests the country could conduct another underground nuclear test at any time.

Comments