A White House foreign policy adviser traveling with Pence said no US response to the missile launch was expected because there was no need for the U.S.to reinforce the failure.
"It is likely that this launch is a test for a new type of missile or an upgrade so the possibility is high for further provocation in the near future", said Kim Dong-Yub, of Kyungnam University's Institute of Far Eastern Studies in Seoul.
North Korea launched this missile for the first time earlier this month, firing it from a land base near Sinpo, home to a known North Korean submarine base.
On Sunday, North Korea defied warnings against further provocations by conducting its latest missile test.
China is North Korea's lone major ally but has spoken out against its missile and nuclear tests and has supported United Nations sanctions.
The U.S. nuclear-powered USS Carl Vinson aircraft carrier strike group is also heading to the region.
"The president has made clear that he will not accept the United States and its allies and partners in the region being under threat from this hostile regime with nuclear weapons".
USA vice president Mike Pence says America's resolve to defend South Korea has never been stronger as he branded Pyongyang's failed missile launch a "provocation".
But the failure will sting in Pyongyang because it comes a day after one of the biggest North Korean propaganda events of the year - celebrations of the 105th birthday of late North Korea founder Kim Il Sung, the current leader's grandfather.
Blue Jackets' Calvert suspended one game for hit on Penguins' Kuhnhackl
During warmups of game one, goaltender Matt Murray suffered a lower-body injury that has kept him off the ice for the time being. Despite the deficit, Blue Jackets coach John Tortorella likes the aggressive play and is eager to get home to Columbus.
Washington and Seoul will try hard to figure out what exactly North Korea fired.
U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis released a statement following the missile test saying, "The president and his military team are aware of North Korea's most recent unsuccessful missile launch".
On Friday, the White House said during an official briefing, "The Vice President is going to underscore intent - we're going to continue to consult with the Republic of Korea on North Korea's efforts to advance its ballistic missile and its nuclear program".
Pence was scheduled to meet with Hwang Kyo-ahn, the acting president of South Korea, on Monday to discuss the North Korean threat.
That missile flew about 60 km (40 miles) but what US officials said appeared to be a liquid-fuelled, extended-range Scud missile only travelled a fraction of its range before spinning out of control. It has repeatedly called for talks while appearing increasingly frustrated with the North.
China is North Korea's only major ally.
North Korea has previously claimed that it possesses miniature nuclear warheads that can be put on such ICBMs, although foreign experts doubt that the country possesses such technology, due to lack of sufficient evidence.
North Korea has conducted five nuclear tests, including two previous year.




Comments