Visiting U.S. Vice President Mike Pence said Monday that "an era of strategic patience is over" on the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK).
Pointing to the quarter-century since the United States first confronted North Korea over its attempts to build nuclear weapons, the vice president said a period of patience had followed.
At the Panmunjom Joint Security Area, which Pence visited Monday, North and South Korean soldiers stand watch feet away from each other, the only place where the two forces come face to face.
The demilitarised zone is a heavily mined, 4km-wide strip of land lined with barbed wire running across the Korean peninsula, with soldiers on both sides in a continual standoff.
Mr Trump's decision to order a cruise missile strike on a Syrian airfield this month, in response to what he said was Syria's use of chemical weapons, raised questions about his plans for reclusive North Korea.
China Daily said in an editorial that Kim Jong-un may have chosen a less provocative missile test because he had to avoid being seen as softening under United States pressure, while avoiding crossing the United States red line of a new nuclear test.
"In the past two weeks, the world witnessed the strength and resolve of our new president in actions taken in Syria and Afghanistan", Pence said.
The people of North Korea the military of North Korea should not mistake the resolve of the United States of America to stand with our allies. He urged China and Russian Federation to play more constructive roles on the issue.
He also reiterated the end of the era of strategic patience, referring to the Obama administration's policy toward North Korea.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Moscow could not accept North Korea's "reckless nuclear actions" but the United States should not take unilateral action against it.
Mr Pence landed in South Korea hours after the North's failed missile launch.
Mr Pence, who had previously called the failed missile launch "a provocation", arrived at Camp Bonifas on Monday morning for a briefing with military leaders and to meet American troops stationed there.
Blue Jays hit by another pitching injury in blowout loss to Orioles
This loss was perhaps especially painful given how Happ was rolling prior to hearing a "pop" in his elbow in the fourth inning. Hardy (two-run) each had fifth-inning blasts and in the sixth, Chris Davis launched a rocket deep over the centre-field fence.
China is angry about the deployment, fearing that the system's powerful radar could hurt its strategic security interests.
For its part, North Korea is believed to be preparing to conduct a sixth nuclear test any day now.
"The President and his military team are aware of North Korea's most recent unsuccessful missile launch".
China, which Trump has urged to do more to rein in North Korea, has spoken out against its weapons tests and has supported United Nations sanctions.
Tensions on the peninsula have ratcheted up in recent weeks, amid tit-for-tat saber-rattling from the USA and North Korea and analysts' warnings that North Korea was preparing for another nuclear test.
"North Korea is a liability to everybody and it's a threat not just to the United States, not just to South Korea, not just to Japan, not just to Russian Federation, but it's actually a threat to China as well, " McFarland said Sunday on "Fox News Sunday".
But at the same time, HR McMaster said: "It's time for us to undertake all actions we can, short of a military option, to try to resolve this peacefully".
"We will be guided by what President Donald Trump once again confirmed", he said.
McMaster said various USA military and intelligence agencies are working on providing options to "have them ready" for Trump "if this pattern of destabilizing behavior continues". "We will see what happens!" he tweeted from his personal account.
"We assume a series of responses in case of evacuees into Japan, such as protecting them, a process of landing, housing facilities and their management, and a screening whether our nation should protect them", Abe said.
At the White House, press secretary Sean Spicer said that the successful USA action in North Korea should "send a strong message to barbaric dictators around the world that the United States stands ready to use the full force and fury of Mike Pence's angry face".




Comments