US Bomb Death Toll Rises to 94

Adjust Comment Print

An Afghan official says the number of militants killed in an attack by the largest non-nuclear weapon ever used in combat by the United States military has risen to 94.

A Ministry of Defence official said on Friday that the number of dead could rise as officials assessed the bomb site in Achin district.

"It was a strong position and four times we had operations (attacking the site) and it was not possible to advance", he said, adding that the road leading to the complex "was full of mines".

The spokesman for the provincial governor, Attullah Khogyani, also spoke of "90 Daesh fighters killed".

One resident living around 2 kilometers (1.5 miles) from the blast told CNN he heard an "extremely loud boom that smashed the windows of our house".

He made it clear there will be no sanctuary for ISIS in Afghanistan and said: "We are committed to Afghanistan in this fight".

The strike using the Massive Ordnance Air Blast bomb, or MOAB, was carried out Thursday against an Islamic State group tunnel complex carved into the mountains that Afghan forces had tried to assault repeatedly in recent weeks in fierce fighting in Nangarhar province.

While the attack was supported by the Afghan government, former president Hamid Karzai said it represented an "inhuman and most brutal misuse of our country as testing ground for new and unsafe weapons".

North Korea celebrated its founder's birthday with an extravagant military display
Weapons analysts said they believed some of the missiles on display were new types of intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBM). The US cruise missile strike on Syria vindicated its stance, it said last weekend.

Former president Hamid Karzai slammed government over the move and said it had been nothing more than a weapons of mass destruction test and that it had been in violation of Afghanistan's national sovereignty. President Trump called the operation "very, very successful mission".

"We were all scared, and my children and my wife were crying".

The bomb, weighing almost 10,000-kilogram, is guided by Global Positioning System and is the most powerful non-nuclear bomb that the United States possesses.

White House press secretary Sean Spicer said the bomb had "targeted a system of caves that Isis fighters use to move freely around, making it easier for them to target U.S. military advisors and Afghan forces in the area".

Locals told CNN that more than 3,000 families had fled the district in the past year or so since the militant group established its presence.

IS had earlier said it had not suffered any casualties in the blast.

The region butts up against the porous Pakistan border. According to Afghan officials, the attack was able to decimate a deep tunnel of ISIS group.

Comments