Stockholm truck attack suspect 'admits to terror crime'

Adjust Comment Print

Rakhmat Akilov, an Uzbek, who allegedly rammed a truck into a department store in central Sweden which killed four people has confessed his crime, his lawyer said. Akilov was arrested just hours after the truck attack on the highest level of suspicion in the Swedish legal system.

Police have not given a motive for the attack and no extremist group has claimed responsibility. His application was rejected past year.

Johan Eriksson, defending Akilov, told the court: "His position is that he admits to a terrorist crime and accepts". The Foreign Office in London has also confirmed that a British man, 41-year-old Chris Bevington, was among the dead, while the Belgian foreign ministry said a Belgian woman had been killed. The others have not been publicly identified. "We will get through this together", Lofven said.

"We will never surrender to terror".

"We have a good relationship and we are working together in this case", Eriksson said on Tuesday.

Flowers, flags and candles have also been laid in Sergels Torg square, where thousands more mourners gathered on Monday, April. Fifteen others were injured, four of whom remain in critical condition.

"It's been a real shock, all this week and everything around this weekend about this accident", Holmstrom said. "I asked a lady, she said that a truck has hit people and is running people down and then there was a lot of chaos". "Everything points to the fact that this is a terrorist attack".

Lower Price Target Estimates: Comcast Corporation's (CMCSA)
After $0.44 actual EPS reported by Comcast Corporation for the previous quarter, Wall Street now forecasts 0.00% EPS growth. Comcast Corporation (NASDAQ:CMCSA) Entertainment - Diversified has a current market price of 37.3 and the change is -0.98%.

"The members of the Security Council underlined the need to bring the perpetrators of these terrorist acts to justice", it added. Akilov was already wanted by police for failing to comply with a deportation order.

Carl Forsaljare, a magazine seller, was in the area during the attack but said he was not surprised it happened in peaceful Sweden.

"He wasn't at the address given [to authorities]", police said at a press conference.

The police commissioner said that they do not know what the device is, but they do know that it should not have been in the truck.

"If we would have had knowledge, information, of course we would have acted differently".

Thornberg said that the agency had looked into information it received on the suspect previous year, but that it had not led to anything.

But he admitted the Swedish authorities were struggling to deport the estimated 12 000 people who have gone underground after being denied the right to stay. "So the only thing I am going to say is that he's pleading guilty".

Comments