Monaco goalkeeper Danijel Subasic commented on the "terrible" feeling in Dortmund, with uncertainty over the cause and reason for the team bus incident. But after the attack, helicopters patrolled the area, police sirens could be heard all over the city, and the security presence was stepped up significantly.
Investigators were checking the authenticity of a letter claiming responsibility that they found near the scene, and were refusing to give any details of its contents, citing the ongoing probe.
But Germany has been on high alert since a series of jihadist attacks a year ago, including the Christmas market truck assault in Berlin in December that claimed 12 lives.
The German team confirmed that defender Marc Bartra broke his wrist in an incident near their hotel and required hospital treatment.
The blasts happened 10km (6.2 miles) from the Westfalenstadion, where the team had been due to face the French side in a quarter-final first-leg tie.
In a statement, police say there was an explosion after 7 p.m. local time (1700 GMT).
Spain worldwide Marc Bartra was injured in explosions which hit the Borussia Dortmund team bus yesterday and saw their Champions League game against Monaco called off, the club confirmed.
According to reports from German authorities, bus windows were broken by the explosions.
"After the bang, we all ducked in the bus and those who could threw themselves to the ground".
Officer to face criminal probe for takedown
The department said the incident began when the officer attempted to stop a pedestrian "observed crossing the street unlawfully". What was supposed to be a routine police stop then turned out to be something really disturbing .
"I was sitting in the back row next to Marc Bartra, who was hit by fragments".
The team later said Bartra was in surgery for a broken radius - a bone in the forearm - and for "bits of debris lodged in his hand".
Federation Internationale de Football Association president Gianni Infantino said: "The thoughts of every one of us at Federation Internationale de Football Association are with the people of Dortmund, and the fans of both Borussia Dortmund and Monaco following today's troubling events".
The national team, which included some current Dortmund players, was involved in the terror attack in the November 13 terror attacks on Paris in 2015. "I hope that football will be the focus again tomorrow".
Germany's best-selling Bild daily quoted anonymous sources saying that investigators were hunting for a likely getaway vehicle used by the attacker.
Police said "nearly all" people in the stadium have left, with no problems.
BVB and AS Monaco chose to postpone the game until Wednesday. Somehow the Dortmund players and fans will try to get through this game on Wednesday night, with the memories of this shocking attack still very fresh in their minds.
"The players will be able to push this out of their minds and be in a position to put in their usual performances", he said. Our thoughts are with (Borussia Dortmund).




Comments