Brother of man killed by police wants justice

Adjust Comment Print

In announcing that Officers Terrance Mercadal and Jared Robinet would not be charged, Schubert said prosecutors who reviewed video footage and other evidence determined they were telling the truth when they said they thought the cellphone Stephon Clark was holding was a gun.

The city's district attorney, Anne Marie Schubert, said the officers' use of force was lawful. She said it was still not clear what caused the flash.

After Schubert's news conference, Clark's mother criticized the prosecutor's decision.

Stephon Clark's family says their hearts are broken again.

"There is no justice here", Land said.

"But I want people to understand, the fact that no criminal charges will be filed in this case does not diminish in any way the tragedy, the anger, the frustration that we've heard since the time of his death", she added. In reference to the report that he had recently been accused of domestic violence and had drugs in his system, Ms. Clark said: "That is not a permit to kill him". "It was what happened on March 18, when the officers murdered my fiancée", Manni told reporters. He also shoved her head into the wall, leaving a 3-inch hole in the wall.

Last month, the district attorney's office said prosecutors also received "substantial investigative reports and related materials" from Department of Justice investigators in the Attorney General's Office.

He also called his probation officer and drafted an email to law enforcement reading, "I'm pretty scared, I'm going to be put in jail". "Not just a kid who died in his grandmother's backyard", Stephon's brother, Stevante, said.

Sacramento has been bracing for protests ahead of the decision, with business owners warned by a business association and state government workers told by legislative officials in recent days to stay away from downtown at least through the weekend. His last text message to his girlfriend was a photo of 10 Xanax in the palm of his hand with the message, "Let's fix our family or I'm taking all of these".

Sharpton, who delivered the eulogy for Clark's funeral, used his PoliticsNation show on MSNBC to condemn the DA's decision.

Ms. Schubert said the officers had probable cause to stop and detain Mr. Clark. "That's what this is about". It's about when the officers murdered my fiancé.

Man 'free' of HIV after stem cell treatment
About a year and a half after the transplant , with no indications of an active infection, antiviral therapies were stopped. Ravindra Gupta , who presented the findings at the Seattle meeting, said, "I think this does change the game a little bit".

Sacramento officers shot Clark eight times after he entered his grandmother's backyard on March 18, 2018.

Investigators found only a cellphone. "Her answer was no", Steinberg said.

Schubert says evidence shows the officers had reason to believe that Clark, 22, was holding a gun.

SEQUETTE CLARK: What matters is how those officers came with lethal force around a corner on a vandalism call after my son and gunned him down when he had nothing but a cell phone in his hand.

Investigators concluded that Clark, on the night of the shooting, had smashed three auto windows, jumped fences into backyards and smashed the rear sliding window of a home while a helicopter was overhead, Schubert said.

Clark's shooting sparked demonstrations in California's capital and nationwide by people protesting police use of force.

Soon after the news, a crowd gathered outside the Sacramento Police Department.

Dr. Bennet Omalu - subject of the Will Smith film Concussion - conducted an independent autopsy for Clark's family, and said police shot the young man seven times from behind.

She sobbed, "My boys Aiden and Cairo have to grow up without their father and I have to continue on as a single parent". "It felt like slander", she said.

The suit, filed January 28, alleges officers racially profiled and used excessive force in shooting Clark.

Comments