Turkey rejects Saudi demand to shut military base in Qatar

Adjust Comment Print

Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al-Thaniaddressed his neighbouring states on Monday asking them to life the blockade that Qatar has had to face.

The demand that Turkey pull out its forces was one of a steep list of ultimatums from Saudi Arabia and others Qatari neighbors that includes shuttering broadcaster Al-Jazeera, curbing back diplomatic relations with Iran and severing all ties with the Muslim Brotherhood.

His reaction comes after Saudi Arabia and other Arab countries boycotting Qatar over alleged support for "terrorism" reportedly issued a list of demands, including closing down the military installation.

Having urged Qatar's neighbors to come up with "reasonable and actionable" demands, the USA sought to distance itself from the crisis the day after the Arab countries issued a list that included several provisions Qatar had already declared it could not or would not accept.

Isik stated that "no one should be disturbed by" the Turkish military presence in Qatar.

Funding: Stop all Qatar funding of any kind to terrorist or extremist individuals, entities or organizations.

Al Jazeera Media Network is an "internal affair" and there will be no discussion about the fate of the Doha-based broadcaster with nations that imposed a blockade on Qatar, its foreign minister says, Al Jazeera reports.

"The strengthening of the Turkish base would be a positive step in terms of the Gulf's security", Isik said.

The demands regarding Al Jazeera state that Qatar must also shut down all affiliates and other news outlets that Qatar funds, including Arabi21, Rassd, Al Araby Al Jadeed and Middle East Eye.

United States cites progress in resolving Qatar crisis
Turkey's foreign minister also appreciated the "wise and calm manner" in which Doha had approached the crisis. Cavusoglu will meet with Qatar's officials and discuss the situation in the region.

As well as cutting diplomatic ties, Qatar's neighbours closed their air space to Qatari carriers and blocked the small but gas-rich emirate's only land border, vital for its food imports.

Following the decision by the Arab nations to cut ties with Qatar, Turkey sped up efforts to send military troops to a base in the emirate.

Saudi Arabia and its allies presented Qatar with a list of demands to end a three-week diplomatic crisis that has roiled the Gulf, the Associated Press reported.

Al Jazeera's Hashem Ahelbarra said the list is "definitely going to be rejected by Qatar".

Wednesday, US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson called for dialogue among the US allies but urged for "reasonable and actionable demands".

Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain also recalled their ambassadors from Qatar in March 2014, upset about a perceived interference in their affairs through the network and Qatar's funding of Islamist movements.

"We cannot expect an end to the crisis, solutions are not yet developed and the countries besieged Qatar have not provided any clear reasons for the steps they have taken", he was quoted to have said by CNN.

Compensation: Give compensations to victims and losses on 4 countries because of Qatar policy in last few years.

If Qatar agrees, the list asserts that it will be audited monthly for the first year, and then quarterly in the second year.

Comments