FBI says stabbing suspect tried to buy gun

Adjust Comment Print

Williams said the airport has resumed normal operations, but said that Thursday morning was hard for everybody there as they tried to balance returning to a normal workday while recovering from Wednesday's events.

(Shannon Millard/The Flint Journal-MLive.com via AP).

Canadian authorities have raided the home of the Detroit airport stabbing suspect Amor Ftouhi, 49, of Quebec, the CBC reports.

Ftouhi's longtime Montreal landlord said he was not a hard tenant.

He arrived at the airport on Wednesday morning, Mr. Gelios said.

Amor Ftouhi, 49, was arrested shortly after the incident and was charged with committing violence at an airport, Federal Bureau of Investigation special agent in charge David Gelios told a news conference. He did not elaborate.

"He further exclaimed something similar to, "You have killed people in Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan, and we are all going to die", FBI Special Agent Thomas Sondgeroth said in an affidavit.

Police had cordoned off the four-story building where Ftouhi reportedly lives, in the Rosemont area of Montreal.

More charges could be added, Gelios said.

Cindy weakens to tropical depression after landfall in Louisiana, Texas
Potentially life-threatening flooding remains the biggest concern along the Gulf Coast and in parts of the South through Friday . There are 17 million people residing in the area, and so far, there has been one fatality caused by the tropical storm.

The suspect, Amor M. Ftouhi, is being held in custody until his Wednesday hearing.

Investigators say he used an Amazon Jungle Survival Knife.

"Suffice to say, he has a hatred for the United States", Detroit's FBI Chief David Gelios said. Ftouhi is thought to have three children and have lived in Canada for 10 years. In court, however, he was described as an "on-and-off" truck driver, who last worked two weeks ago. He indicated "no mental or physical health problems and no drug or alcohol use", the officer, Linsey Carson, said. He lingered about 40 minutes, including time in a restaurant, before attacking Neville, a criminal complaint said.

"We continue to have no information that suggests Ftouhi's attack on Lt. Neville was part of a wider plot, nor do we have any indication he was aided in this incident or had any associates associated to this incident". The only posts in the past few years were two YouTube videos in Arabic - one about methods of memorizing the Quran and another about how to stop somebody from swallowing their tongue. "He was never a representative of Industrial Alliance". A company spokesman said he was studying to become a sales representative but left after five months before obtaining his certificate.

Ftouhi lived in Montreal, where police inspected his residence Wednesday.

.

Officials searched Fthoui's apartment in Montreal, but could not find evidence at this time that he "spoke to anyone before the attack".

A man who identified himself as a Facebook friend of Ftouhi's said the accused wouldn't even think of "hurting a fly".

"It was very surreal, it was very emotional to see him 6 to 7 hours earlier kneeling down on the carpet here with blood coming out of his neck and EMS, medics taking his vest off and treating him", said Owens. "He came across as strict, quiet". Such documentation became required in 2009 for USA and Canadian citizens who enter the U.S.at land and sea ports of entry from within the Western Hemisphere.

Comments