Arab states should give Qatar list of "actionable" demands -US's Tillerson

Adjust Comment Print

Mr. Tillerson also noted the blockade was impeding USA military operations against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, as well as the ongoing mission in Afghanistan, based out of the massive Al Udeid airbase in Qatar.

Saudi Arabia and its Gulf allies have drawn up a list of demands to be presented to Qatar, US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said Wednesday, amid a regional diplomatic crisis.

Al-Thani's comments challenged UAE state minister for foreign affairs, Anwar Gargash's statement to reporters in Paris, pointing out that the blockades could take years should Qatar not meet demands.

Qatar's foreign minister said Doha would not negotiate with its neighbors to resolve the Gulf dispute unless they first lift the trade and travel boycott they imposed two weeks ago.

And in Qatar, there is a United States military base housing more than 11,000 U.S. and coalition forces, from where more than 100 aircraft operate.

Trump had previously supported the anti-Qatar axis verbally, saying that his move to pressure Arab nations to confront terrorism was "paying off" as Gulf nations isolated Qatar.

QIA was forced to deposit billions of dollars of cash, reported Gulf News, as lenders of some banks in Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain started withdrawing funds from the country.

No verdict Tuesday in Bill Cosby sexual assault case
As Cosby walked past the assembled paparrazi, he opened his mouth and finally released the words everyone was so eager to say. But while Cosby may have been determined guilty in the court of popular opinion, the court of law is now out on deliberation.

But as well as Qatari planes being banned from landing in Saudi Arabia, camels have also been forbidden from grazing in the Gulf Kingdom.

However, Trump had voiced full support for Saudi Arabia in the actions it led against Qatar over the past weeks.

But last week, the defence secretary, James Mattis, signed an arms deal in which the U.S. sold Qatar 36 F-15 fighter planes, worth $12bn. "The market was still open to them", Al-Mansoori said.

They said it was only after Doha failed to respond to their grievances that they took the decision to sever diplomatic relations with Qatar.

"We noticed specific institutions in those three countries trying to dump shares", said Rashid Ali al-Mansoori told Reuters.

The remarks were welcomed by Qatar, with an official reiterating the country's "support of resolving the crisis through a civilised dialogue".

"Do you really, on the one hand, accuse a country of "supporting terror on a high level", and on the other have your main military base in the whole region that is fighting your war on terror in that country?" However weeks later, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Joseph Dunford told Congress the Qatar blockade was having no impact on USA operations.

Comments