A coroner's office in OH is investigating the death of a 22-year-old college student who died shortly after his return to the US after almost a year and a half in North Korean detention, a spokesman said Tuesday.
North Korea's highest court sentenced Warmbier, a 21-year-old University of Virginia undergraduate student, from Wyoming, Ohio, to 15 years in prison with hard labor on Wednesday for subversion.
He died Monday afternoon at a hospital in Cincinnati, surrounded by family members and friends. I believe it is quite clear that they have a heavy responsibility in the process that led to Mr Warmbier's death. "And frankly if he were brought home sooner, I think the result would have been a lot different". "He should have been home that same day", told reporters during an appearance with Ukraine President Petro Poroshenko at the White House Tuesday afternoon.
Kenneth Bae, a Korean-American missionary who served a 735-day prison sentence after the North Korean government claimed he was part of a Christian plot to overthrow the regime, has called the death of Otto Warmbier a "tragedy" and urged the worldwide community to pray for his family.
Kim Jong-Un's regime claimed that Warmbier contracted botulism and fell into a coma soon after being sentenced a year ago.
"To me that one sentence completely captured the feeling of this graduation", Warmbier said, wearing a white suit and a black bowtie.
When Warmbier returned to the United States on June 13, family members said he was unable to speak, see or react to verbal commands.
His treating physicians said he suffered from unresponsive wakefulness, a condition also known as persistent vegetative state.
Weather service confirms tornado in Pennsylvania
NWS officials report other nearby damage was the result of straight-line winds, some in excess of 90 miles per hour . National Weather Service officials have confirmed a small tornado touched down in eastern Pennsylvania on Monday.
"Melania and I offer our deepest condolences to the family of Otto Warmbier on his untimely passing", Mr Trump said in a statement. "Considering these facts and this tragic outcome we will no longer be organizing tours for USA citizens to North Korea".
The United States flew two supersonic bombers over the Korean Peninsula on Tuesday in a show of force against North Korea, South Korean officials said. In the past, North Korea has also given tourists heavy sentences (between six and 15 years) for trivial offenses and then held them until the U.S. negotiated their release.
"It's a total disgrace what happened to Otto", he added.
"And China will either decide to help us with North Korea, or they won't", he continued.
"We met 20 times with the North Koreans in NY, the United Nations representatives", he told Baldwin.
The circumstances of his detention in North Korea and what medical treatment he may have received there remained a mystery, but relatives have said his condition suggested that he had been physically abused by his captors. "At least I know China tried", Trump wrote.
Other well-known North Korea tour operators, including Koryo Tours, founded by British expatriates in Beijing, and Uri Tours, with offices in New Jersey and Shanghai, said this week that they were "reviewing" their policies for American citizens. They said it should be a "call to action to those in the position to protect our American citizens here at home AND overseas".



Comments