Police commander says London tower block search may take months

Adjust Comment Print

The death toll stands at 17, but that could greatly increase, as rescue officials said they're not expecting to find any more survivors.

Some people then left the building though others remained inside.

An unknown number of people have been killed and dozens injured in Wednesday's heavy fire that engulfed a tower block in west London, which firefighters are still trying to douse, reports the Guardian.

Prime Minister Theresa May promised an investigation and visited the site on Thursday. "I would say it is wicked that these people have had to die". "What are you going to do about it?" As the boy pressed, the Labour politician pledged to get answers.

The tower is in the North Kensington neighbourhood, a working-class, multi-ethnic area next to some of the richest neighbourhoods in Britain.

NPR estimates that up to 600 people may have been sleeping inside the building when the fire broke out, and survivors testify that they fled with moments to spare - ignoring the building's fire plan, which directed residents to stay inside units behind allegedly fireproof doors.

Investigators fear that the bodies of many more victims could still be on the building's upper floors, areas firefighters have struggled to reach. There are a lot of fearless firefighters and police and ambulance workers.

The Queen has issued a statement offering condolences to victims and praise to firefighters. "We like to think of ourselves as "roughty, toughty" and heroes - they are heroes - but they have feelings. People were absolutely devastated by yesterday's events", Cotton said. Specially trained dogs are being used to help in the search and recovery operation. Police were unsure whether they would even be able to identify everyone. Observers witnessed people jumping from windows, and at least one infant was tossed from the tenth floor and caught by a bystander on the ground.

Twenty-four people are still in the hospital, 12 of them in critical condition.

One of the victims was named as Mohammed Alhajali, a 23-year-old Syrian refugee, who came to Britain in 2014 with his brother.

McIlroy, Day to miss US Open cut
Fowler made it look easy Thursday, shooting 65 with his 7-under total equaling the lowest 18-hole score in relation to par in U.S. Fowler dropped to a share of fifth at six under, alongside compatriots Jamie Lovemark and JB Holmes (both 69).

Diabetic Hesham Rahman 57, texted relatives from his 20th floor apartment at 3am to say he could smell smoke.

Families were also concerned about two young Italian architects who were missing.

"The flames are in the living room. Londoners never reel. We stand together", he said.

The focus centres on the cladding fitted to external walls on the 1970s concrete block, as part of a £8.7-million ($11 million, 9.9 million euros) refit completed only past year.

The renovation project included installation of insulated exterior cladding, double-glazed windows and a communal heating system.

The paper also said that the last full assessment of fire risks for the building was in December 2015, before the refurbishment was completed a year ago.

More than 1 million pounds ($1.27 million) has been raised to help victims of the fire.

By Thursday, community centers had been so overwhelmed by food and clothing donations that they started turning away new donations.

St. Clement's Notting Dale, a church near the tower, has turned into an informal centre for people searching for friends and family. "That's why it takes some time and I know it's very sad because you may have a friend in there".

"That's what they're doing you see", said Mr Khan. "Forever in our prayers", read a prominent message.

Comments