Death Toll Climbs to 17 In London Apartment Fire

Adjust Comment Print

Firefighters continued to pick their way through the burnt-out wreckage of the building Friday.

He noted some Grenfell Tower residents were still sleeping in the nearby Westway Sports Centre on Thursday night despite claims accommodation had been found for all of those who lost their homes.

Police have said 17 people were killed in the blaze and that the death toll was likely to rise. Police expect the number of dead to increase, but have not put a figure on it.

The queen and Prince William visited residents on Friday morning after government ministers had done so.

Angry residents on Friday surrounded Andrea Leadsom, a Conservative Party lawmaker and leader of the House of Commons, when she visited the neighborhood, demanding to know why British Prime Minister Theresa May hadn't met with survivors when she toured the area a day earlier.

May has announced a public inquiry into the disaster. Metropolitan Police Commander Stuart Cundy said there was a "risk" that investigators would "not be able to identify everybody".

The bodies of 12 people were recovered and are at a mortuary, while one person died at hospital.

The cause of the fire was still unknown, but police said there was nothing to indicate it was started deliberately.

Blimp catches fire, crashes at US Open
Open first started to go down and explode. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the pilot at this time", the USGA statement said. Maynard said he had no more information on the pilot's status or what caused the accident.

Forensic experts said the fire at Grenfell was so hot it could be compared to a cremation, which is going to make it hard to identify those who lost their lives.

One of those was Gloria Trevisan, a 26-year-old Italian architect who was living in London because her family was having financial difficulties at home in Italy.

I was woken up at 4 am by the buzz of my phone: a friend was standing outside the Grenfell Tower block in Kensington, watching it burn, and felt like she needed to speak to someone.

Meanwhile, on Thursday, the first victim of the fire was named as Syrian refugee Mohammed Alhajali, 23. "They lived on the 22nd floor, in flat 193". Now those people have lost nearly everything - everything except the blog they were keeping to detail their endless frustrations with the company contracted to take care of the building they lived in. "At this time, we are not aware of any link between the fire and the exterior cladding to the tower".

It had said: "While we will try do our utmost to ensure those affected remain in or near the borough, given the number of households involved, it is possible the council will have to explore housing options that may become available in other parts of the capital".

Police on Thursday said they launched a criminal investigation into the fire.

Separately he told BBC Breakfast: "There are about 4,000 high-rise buildings in the country but not all of them have been re-cladded but also let's not just make the assumption that it is all about cladding. The tower block is more strong and stable than that woman's government".

Originally constructed in 1974, the residential tower block recently underwent a $13.2 million (£10.3 million) refurbishment.

Comments