Sri Lankan charged threatening to blow up Malaysia Airlines flight

Adjust Comment Print

Malaysia's deputy transport minister Aziz Ab Kaprawi confirmed that the "disruptive passenger" was drunk.

Armed police stormed a Malaysia Airlines flight which was forced to return to Melbourne after a passenger tried to enter the cockpit claiming he had a bomb, officials said Thursday.

The 25-year-old Sri Lankan man had been discharged from a Melbourne psychiatric hospital on Wednesday before buying a ticket on the late-night flight to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Victorian Police Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton said.

"It is not a hijack".

Shortly after take-off, passengers onboard flight MH128, traveling from Melbourne to Kuala Lumpur, tackled a man carrying a unusual object as he moved towards the front of the plane.

He was said to be holding an unknown black device, reportedly a powerbank.

"Everyone on board is safe..."

"There appears to be no imminent threat to passengers, staff or public and the investigation is ongoing", Victoria Police said in a separate statement.

Why Britain Still Doesn't Have a New Government Confirmed
About two hours after the talks began, May emerged from 10 Downing Street without saying anything and left in a auto . Thursday's talks will focus on attempts to restore devolution at Stormont by the end of this month.

Manodh Monaragala Marks was arrested for trying to enter the cockpit of Malaysia Airlines flight MH128 is driven into the Melbourne Magistrates Court in Melbourne June 1, 2017.

"It was an isolated incident and we do believe he suffers from a mental illness", Superintendent Michael Goode of the Australian Federal Police told a media conference on Thursday.

Police praised the courage of passengers and crew who tackled the man and tied him to a seat with belts.

According to Melbourne newspaper Herald Sun, the airport subsequently went into lockdown with all flights temporary suspended.

"Following the incident on MH128, the disruptive passenger has been apprehended by airport security, " the statement went on.

He said several precautionary checks had to be conducted on the aircraft by the Melbourne airport authorities including ground checks and cargo to ensure that the aircraft was safe to return to the capital. Victoria Police stressed that the incident is not being treated as a terror attack and was arrested by officers as soon as the plane landed at Tullamarine.

MH370 disappeared mysteriously on March 8, 2014, with 227 passengers, including six Australians, and 12 crew on board.

Comments