Sessions says the court's decision "has a chilling effect on security operations overall".
The ruling Monday from a unanimous three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals deals the administration another legal defeat as the Supreme Court considers a separate case on the issue.
The US - under President Trump - has already taken several other steps like asking for the social media profile and account along with past cell phone numbers, if necessary, for those applying for visas to the United States.
Federal courts in both Maryland and Hawaii issued rulings suspending key parts of the ban. The ruling Monday says the president violated USA immigration law.
The three judge panel acknowledged the president's ability to oversee immigration policy, but noted in their opinion that "immigration, even for the president, is not a one-person show".
"Months after thousands of people filled airports opposing Donald Trump's anti-Muslim and un-American travel ban, the Supreme Court could soon put an end to this disgraceful period in our country's history", said Attorney General Becerra.
At the heart of the 9th Circuit opinion today is the panel's determination that the president failed to show in his executive order that there were specific national security justifications for excluding nationals of the six designated countries (Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen). It does not provide any link between an individual's nationality and their propensity to commit terrorism or their inherent dangerousness. The original order also barred Iraqi nationals from entering the United States.
Wonder Woman sinks The mummy at North American box office
Disney's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 followed with $6.2-M domestically for a worldwide haul of $833.2 to date. Internationally, the fifth installment added another $34.8 million and has collected $464.4 million so far.
The judges ruled that in so writing, Trump made public his determination that the countries, rather than their citizens, "are inherently dangerous". It said reinstating it would plunge "the country back into the chaos and confusion that resulted when the first (executive order) was announced".
The 9th Circuit did rule for the administration on one issue, however, according to the Times and the Post.
"Frankly, I think any lawyer worth their salt 100 percent agrees that the president is fully within his rights and responsibilities to do what is right to protect the country". It also suspends the entry of all refugees for 120 days and reduces the cap on the admission of refugees from 110,000 to 50,000 for the 2017 fiscal year.
9th Circuit rules against Trump's revised...
"The ruling specifically pointed to Trump's tweets from earlier this month, when he called for the need for a "TRAVEL BAN for certain risky countries" and chided those who were too politically correct to label it a "travel ban". The new version was created to better withstand legal scrutiny and spelled out more of a national security rationale.
Trump during the 2016 presidential campaign called for a "total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States."Monday was the deadline for the ban's challengers to respond to the administration's request that the order be allowed to go into effect".





Comments