Tehran attacks mastermind killed - Iranian minister

Adjust Comment Print

At least 17 people were killed and 52 others injured in Tehran on Wednesday when gunmen mounted nearly simultaneous assaults on Iran's Parliament and the Mausoleum of the late founder of the Islamic Republic, Imam Khomeini.

Iranian authorities said on Sunday they have arrested six people involved in a twin attack on Tehran in which 17 people were killed last week.

Amir Abdollahian further referred to comments made by Saudi officials about taking war and insecurity to Iran and said they should be brought to account for such remarks.

The Intelligence Ministry said its forces stormed several "safe houses" linked to the group in the country's northwest, according to state television.

Iran has said five Iranians, who had joined IS and travelled to its Iraq and Syria bastions, carried out the attack.

Separately, the head of the judiciary in Fars province said seven people were detained in the southern Larestan area for possible ties to IS, Iran's ISNA news agency reported on Saturday.

'Will Trump Regret This?' President Vows to Testify Under Oath
At one point in the hearing, Comey said " Lordy, I hope there are tapes ", which drew audible laughter from those in attendance. His accusations could further mire Trump's administration in legal difficulties.

An Iranian journalist claimed on Twitter that a woman arrested by authorities was a mastermind behind the attacks.

During a televised interview on Saturday, Iranian Intelligence Minister Mahmoud Alavi said that the extremist commander was killed earlier in the day by intelligence forces.

The militant group's Amaq news agency released a video on Thursday evening showing what it claimed was a message from the Tehran attackers. Two of the attackers eventually detonated explosive vests themselves, while the others were shot dead by security forces.

Abbasi said the attacks were unprecedented since the killing of Iranian lawmakers in 1980s.

The assailants attacked the parliament building in the morning.

The bloodshed shocked the country and came as emboldened Sunni Arab states - backed by U.S. President Donald Trump - are hardening their stance against Shi'ite-ruled Iran.

Comments