Read heartbreaking reason Saudi Arabian team refused to mourn terror victims

Adjust Comment Print

But there was confusion before kick-off when a silence to honour the eight victims of last Saturday's attack at London Bridge and Borough Market - two of whom were Australian - took place.

Australian soccer chiefs on Thursday night sought to defuse growing outrage over what United Kingdom media has characterised as a Saudi Arabian snub for the memories of the eight victims of last weekend's London terrorist attack.

Saudi Arabia met Australia for a World Cup qualifier at the Adelaide Oval stadium in South Australia.

While Australia's players locked arms in the centre circle in the traditional way, the Saudi team did not follow suit.

Others were calling for official action to be taken against the Saudi team.

Australian and British football fans quickly took to social media to lash out against the Saudi team.

The Australia soccer federation, known as the FFA, said Saudi team officials knew about the plan to hold a minute's silence before the match and had indicated that the players wouldn't participate.

"Both the AFC and the Saudi team agreed that the minute of silence could be held", the statement said, according to Fox Sports Australia.

Accused NSA Leaker Reality Winner To Remain In Jail Pending Trial
Davis said she became a linguist, speaking Arabic and Farsi, and spent four years assigned to the NSA at Fort Meade, Maryland. Winner's lawyer told Martin that during Thursday's hearing, he planned to request that she be released on bond pending trial.

The Socceroos were gifted a ideal start by Saudi goalkeeper Yasser Al-Mosailem, who slipped during his clearing kick and sent the ball straight to Juric, who duly hammered it back into the net in the seventh minute.

But as it was a World Cup qualifier, any planned tributes have to be cleared by Federation Internationale de Football Association before they are held, usually in the knowledge of both teams competing.

Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull was asked early Friday about the incident but said while the matter had been raised with him, he had not seen video.

Australia went on to win the Group B qualification match 3-2.

But Peacock added that the Saudi players were standing still during the minute, just not in a line, apart from team captain Osama Hawsawi, who continued to stretch and warm up.

Senior Australian Labor politician Anthony Albanese described it as "a disgraceful lack of respect".

Swiss-based striker Tomi Juric twice gave the Socceroos the lead in the first half but both times the Saudis fought back to be level at 2-2 at half-time.

Comments