London attack: Who were the attackers?

Adjust Comment Print

The surveillance camera footage shows the first police vehicle rolling forward as the attackers lunge at a man to stab him during the late night attacks.

A Canadian, a French national and a Briton were among the dead, while other French people, a Spaniard, Australians and a New Zealander were among the 48 who were injured in what Prime Minister Theresa May called "an attack on the free world". The assault was the third attack in three months in which most of the assailants had been on authorities' radar at some point. Shortly later, the lifeless bodies of the attackers are seen on the pavement.

As investigators hunted for potential accomplices linked to the three attackers on Thursday, voters cast ballots in a British general election that has spotlighted security concerns.

Police briefly closed off an area of London near Charing Cross train station after a suspicious package was found.

Another neighbour, Michael Membo, said they enjoyed discussing Arsenal and whether Arsene Wenger should remain manager. Security patrols have been boosted throughout London. Neighbors living beside the residence raided by police in Barking also identified Butt from a still frame in the documentary.

Police carried out a new search in a neighbourhood in east London near the home of two of the London Bridge attackers.

The 27-year-old man is the only suspect now in custody.

- Metropolitan Police handout via ReuterROME, June 6 - A third man arrested for carrying out Saturday's deadly attack in central London is an Italian-Moroccan who was arrested past year on suspicion of trying to reach Syria, according to Italian media reports. Collina said that she suspected Zaghba could be dead, especially when the names of the two other attackers, who she knew as his friends, were made public.

Valeria Khadija Collina said her son Youssef Zaghba, an Italian national of Moroccan descent, told her he wanted to go to Syria to start a family in a religious Islamic climate not to fight.

Billionaire Moshiri to spearhead Everton’s Italian job
Indeed, it is only by virtue of Falcinelli’s prowess in the final third that Crotone still remains in contention to survive. In Romelu Lukaku, Koeman has a player with the capability of firing Everton to far headier heights than seventh place.

Pakistani authorities meanwhile searched the family hotel of a Pakistan-born Briton who was one of the three terrorists.

After the airport stop, Italy's Internal Intelligence Service passed on details to the liaison officer for the UK's foreign security agency MI6 in Italy, who reportedly passed the information on to MI5, the Politico source said. "It's something that has no sense, for any religion, or any ideology", she said, choking back tears and calling her son's actions a "deviation of terror". Borough Market, a popular gathering place, remains closed as more evidence is gathered. The market was unlikely to open before Sunday, according to police. On the night of the attack, staff pretended to lock the doors in a move that was thought to protect 20 customers inside.

CNN's Sandi Sidhu met him several times while reporting on the group in the United Kingdom between 2014 and 2016.

"I told them to detain him", she said. "Some people who weren't here on Saturday night have got this whole guilt thing going on that they weren't here to be supportive to their colleagues".

"It is seeking to project its influence and maintain its relevance by inspiring, encouraging, and - though there does not appear to be evidence of this in the latest United Kingdom plots to date - directing attacks in Europe and elsewhere", he said.

Abedi appeared to be laser focused on building the bomb when he returned to the United Kingdom, the sources said. His family had sought asylum in Britain but later returned to Libya, where authorities say his father belonged to a militant group backed by al-Qaida.

On Sunday, Grande performed during a benefit concert, which aimed to raise money for the victims of the deadly attack.

People queue to lay flowers after a vigil for victims of Saturday's attack in London Bridge, at Potter's Field Park in London, Monday, June 5, 2017.

"The problem occurs when we know someone is moving in extremist circles but we don't have evidence to indicate that they are plotting an attack", said the British government official who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Comments