London police arrest 6 as attack footage is released

Adjust Comment Print

The death toll from the London Bridge terror attack has risen to eight after police searching for a French man missing since Saturday recovered a body from the River Thames.

Collina said she had spoken to Italy's anti-terrorism police a year ago after her son was prevented from travelling to the Middle East, and that they were the ones to told her on Tuesday that her son had been one of the men who carried out the attack.

One of the men, aged 27, was held on suspicion of the preparation of terrorist acts, while a 33-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of possession with intent to supply controlled drugs.

In a separate investigation not linked to the London Bridge attacks, officers backed up by armed police arrested three men in east London on Thursday on suspicion of preparing for acts of terrorism.

Police have confirmed the identities of all three attackers who killed seven people in a vehicle and knife attack on Saturday evening in London.

Counter-terror police arrested the pair during an operation on a street in Ilford, east London, Scotland Yard said.

Khuram Butt, 27, Rachid Redouane, 30, and Youssef Zaghba, 22, gathered outside a Muslim gym in Barking during the early hours of the morning on May 29.

The British Transport Police officer who fought the three armed attackers armed only with a baton said today: "I'm so sorry I couldn't do more".

Eight people died and a further 48 people were injured in what was Britain's third Islamist attack in as many months.

Seventeen people have now been arrested in connection with Saturday's attack and five remain in custody, the Metropolitan Police said.

James Comey's testimony proves Trump obstructed justice, says senior legal analyst
Comey is bieng asked for his version of events as to the conversations with President Trump that led to him being fired. I'm good with it", he testified Thursday. "This is not how a President of the United States behaves", he said.

Meanwhile, London police have taken down much of the security cordon they initially placed around the crime scene, leaving only Borough Market and some areas nearby still closed.

Police have identified the attackers as Khuram Shazad Butt, Rachid Redouane and Youssef Zaghba.

Youssef Zaghba is said to have been stopped by Italian officers trying to travel to Syria past year and added to an worldwide database of alerts about individuals, to which the United Kingdom has access.

The marksmen involved soon returned to duty, joining a manhunt as police believed there could still be attackers on the loose, it added.

Investigators later found propaganda videos from the so-called Islamic State (IS) terrorist group on his cell phone, according to La Repubblica newspaper.

On the night of the attack, staff pretended to lock the doors in a move that was thought to protect 20 customers inside.

Friend Elle Bishop said on Facebook: "I find solace in the fact that the hate that saw you taken from us, you have never felt inside, making you a remarkable young woman".

The minister did not identify the new victim, but reports said it was Sebastien Belanger, 36.

In the Channel 4 documentary, Butt, often called Abz, can be seen in Regent's Park in central London with a group of worshippers unfurling an ISIS-style flag.

Comments