Saul "Canelo" Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin confirm

Adjust Comment Print

The crowd at the T-Mobile Arena went insane with excitement when "Triple G" strode from ringside to join Alvarez for the announcement, in what will undoubtedly be the biggest fight in the sport.

Saturday night at T-Mobile Arena, Saul "Canelo" Alvarez was just too good for Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.

The real news of tonight, however, was the fight against Golovkin, who walked to the ring as Alvarez called him out. They later showed a promotional video for the fight. "The fight is done". It's the fight that boxing fans have been yearning for several months, as Golovkin and Alvarez are clearly the two best middleweights in the world and certainly among the best pound-for-pound boxers. "I wanted to box, but he went to the ropes, and I just needed to throw more punches", Chavez said.

Triple G versus Canelo is the biggest fight that can be made in boxing, and it's a fight that fans have been wanting to see for over a year. But in mere minutes Alvarez had the record-setting crowd of 20,510 eating out of his hand. "The styles are there and they should mesh together". You saw tonight the best I tried. Las Vegas, Nevada and Houston, Texas are both possibilities, though De La Hoya stated that there is interest all over the world to host the fight.

In fact, de la Hoya said, the deal was done even before the Chavez fight. No one thought the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight would happen but I had patience.

Alvarez had a 228-71 edge in punches landed against Chavez, and an 83-15 advantage in jabs landed, according to CompuBox.

China 'may back' new United Nations sanctions over North Korean missile test
The adoption of the statement comes on the eve of an emergency, closed-door meeting of the Security Council scheduled for Tuesday. North Korea says it has no choice but to advance its nuclear and missile development to defend itself from attack.

Chavez struggled to deal with Alvarez's superior speed and power throughout, and had no answer to a series of stinging combinations from the 26-year-old that left him bleeding from both nostrils and with his left eye nearly swollen shut. Just two fighters walking away from their grudge match.

Middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin was a notable onlooker ringside as he eyes a blockbuster meeting with Canelo.

Reaction to the fight announcement was inevitably enthusiastic. The contest is for WBA (Super), WBC, IBF, and IBO middleweight titles.

"Canelo looked very good", Golovkin said, "and 100 percent he is the biggest challenge of my career". "I really did", Atlas said. "He wouldn't throw punches".

The odds of Alvarez winning by knockout were 9-5. "This is wonderful fight for everyone".

The Mexican had been told he would be stripped of the title if he did not start negotiations with Triple G, and it came as a big disappointment when he opted to vacate the belt.

Comments