UN Security Council condemns N. Korea's missile tests

Adjust Comment Print

Following reports that North Korea successfully launched a missile that they say is large enough to hold a nuclear warhead, MSNBC host Katy Tur asked Christopher Hill Monday if this constitutes a real threat to America.

Japan's two-tier missile defense system first targets incoming missiles at the peak of their trajectory with the Standard Missile-3 launched from Aegis-equipped vessels.

United Nations spokesman Stephane Dujarric said Monday that Guterres had called on North Korea to fully comply with its global obligations "and return to the path of denuclearization".

North Korea said the missile it tested was created to carry a large-sized nuclear warhead.

US President Donald Trump warned in an interview with Reuters this month that a "major, major conflict" with North Korea was possible. Each new nuclear and longer-range missile test is part of the North's attempt to build a nuclear-tipped intercontinental ballistic missile.

South Korean Defence Minister Han Min-koo told parliament Sunday's test-launch was "successful in flight".

It was claimed that the missile is capable of carrying a "heavy nuclear warhead".

Sunday's test came less than a week after South Korea elected a new president, Moon Jae-In, who advocates reconciliation with Pyongyang and had expressed a willingness to visit the North to ease tensions.

In April Pyongyang put dozens of missiles on show at a giant military parade through the capital, including one that appeared to be the type launched on Sunday. The missile flew some 500 miles and fell in the Sea of Japan. Spokesman Moon Sang Gyun said it is still unlikely that North Korea has re-entry technology, which would return a warhead safely back into the atmosphere.

NHS cyberattack: Trusts were told about security patch last month
In Indonesia , the malware locked patient files on computers in two hospitals in the capital, Jakarta, causing delays. On affected computers, the WannaCry software encrypts files and displays a ransom message demanding $300 in bitcoin.

Analysts said the test suggested an actual range of 4,500 kilometres (2,800 miles) or more if flown for maximum distance.

FILE - South Korea's new President Moon Jae-in speaks at the presidential Blue House in Seoul.

In a separate statement, the White House labelled the North Korean weapons program "a flagrant menace for too long", specifically mentioning an assumed displeasure felt in Moscow at the sight of the missile allegedly striking near its border.

KCNA quoted Kim as accusing the United States of "browbeating" countries that "have no nukes", and warning Washington not to misjudge the reality that its mainland is in the North's "sighting range for strike".

Former President Park Geun-hye first approved THAAD previous year, and her government and the US argued it was exclusively for defense against North Korea's growing nuclear and missile threats.

Putin also urged other world leaders to "stop intimidating North Korea and find a peaceful solution to the problem".

"The greatest responsibility for bringing North Korea to its senses. lies with China", Turnbull says.

Following the launch, one of the most vocal voices in the chorus of those denouncing North Korea and its leader Kin Jong-un was that of the USA ambassador to the UN, Nikki Haley, who went as far as to suggest that Kim was "in a state of paranoia" and vowed that Washington would proceed with "tightening the screws" on the pariah state.

The adoption of the US-drafted statement came ahead of an emergency closed-door session of the council on Tuesday called by the United States and Japan to discuss the missile launch. In a show of force, the United States sent an aircraft carrier strike group, led by the USS Carl Vinson, to waters off the Korean peninsula to conduct drills with South Korea and Japan.

Comments