Attorneys say 8-year-old was bullied before killing himself

Adjust Comment Print

Surveillance footage at the school shows Gabriel Taye being knocked unconscious by another student, attorneys said, according to CBS News.

"[Taye] ends up on the floor, unconscious, for seven-and-a-half minutes" before the assistant principal and school nurse come to his aid, Branch told local station WLWT.

Branch said school officials did not tell Reynolds that Gabe had been assaulted.

"If the school had told her what had happened to him in the bathroom, that he was unconscious for such a long period of time, she would have taken him to the hospital immediately, reported that to the medical professionals, and she would have called police", Branch told the Enquirer.

A 8-year-old Cincinnati boy managed to survive a severe beating at the hands of several of his elementary school peers, only to commit suicide later that week as a result of trauma from the frightening experience.

In a report obtained by The Cincinnati Enquirer, a Cincinnati Police homicide detective describes the January 24 Carson Elementary School video's content: "I witnessed behavior that in my belief is bullying and could even rise to the level of criminal assault", if not for the young ages of the perpetrators. Walsh released a school system statement expressing concern over the delay at Carson Elementary of adults in responding to the 8-year-old child, who the statement identified as Gabriel Taye.

Police said the security video shows Gabe's attacker celebrating after knocking the eight-year-old unconscious before other student's nudge, prod and kick him.

The school spokeswoman says the school had zero reports of bulling that year before the incident.

Wirral-born Shirley Ballas confirmed as new Strictly Come Dancing head judge
Ballas will take over from Len Goodman as head judge and will have the casting vote in the dance-off. Derek, 12 at the time, stayed for 10 years, and Julianne, 10, returned to America after five years.

School officials have declined to release the video, but a report newly obtained by the Enquirer describes its content.

Another Taye family attorney, Jennifer Branch, fired back at CPS, accusing the district of trying to shift the blame to Taye's mother and not acknowledging that Taye was attacked. Doctors said he had a stomach virus and sent him home. Instead, they told her that the boy simply fainted briefly without mentioning a word about the assault. The boy's mother was asked to pick him up and take him to a hospital "to be checked out", the statement said.

As of Thursday afternoon, the video has not been released to the public or the media, making it unclear what exactly happened. "Mom found him [dead] in his bedroom a few hours later".

The boy hanged himself from his bunk bed.

It's unclear if the boy who Branch said hit Gabe is still enrolled at Carson Elementary or if any of the school's administrators have faced any disciplinary action.

A family friend issued a statement about Taye to Fox 19 Now.

A Cincinnati police release Thursday acknowledged that it investigated Gabriel's death on January 26, but it said it would not be appropriate to comment at this time.

Sammarco said she wants to know more about the incident, too, For now, the coroner said the manner of Taye's death is suicide, but her team will try to figure out if there were any contributing factors.

Comments