Nearly 250 missing in Mediterranean shipwrecks

Adjust Comment Print

The apparent deaths underscored the huge challenges for European leaders and worldwide groups seeking to cope with rising numbers of refugees and others using Libyan smuggling networks in bids to reach European Union nations.

The migrants are understood to have been trying to cross over from North Africa to Europe via the Mediterranean.

Regardless of the total, the count is certain to grow as smuggling operations typically pick up during the warmer months.

Overall the weekend disasters pushed the death toll on the Libya Mediterranean route for 2017 up to 1,300, while refugees and asylum seekers who successfully crossed the Mediterranean now number more than 43,000.

Many of those who fearless the risky central Mediterranean route between Libya and Italy are migrants from Africa seeking to flee from conflicts, political persecution at home or to find better economic opportunities in Europe.

Another shipwreck took place Sunday off the coast of Libya, where 163 people are feared dead, the agency said. Seven people were rescued.

Canelo vs. GGG odds: Gennady Golovkin an early favorite in the superfight
Gennady Golovkin mega fight is something most have been waiting on though negotiations bogged down each time . Alvarez's dominant display at the weekend must be put into context due to Chavez's limited challenge.

While on Sunday, around 50 people were rescued and disembarked in Pozzallo, Sicily, with 82 feared dead or missing.

The worldwide office of migration (IOM), the United Nations agency for migration, estimated the total number of deaths on the central Mediterranean route from 1 January to 7 May - before the latest disasters - at 1,222.

Afterwinter storms and cold sea temperatures, IOM spokesman Joel Millman, "there is normally pent-up demand".

Spanish officials say that about 300 migrants have tried to scramble across the six-meter border fence separating the north African enclave city Melilla from Morocco with many throwing stones and other objects at police.

Nearly 50,000 migrants had so far crossed the Mediterranean Sea to enter Europe in 2017, the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) said. During the same period previous year the number of deaths on the route was 966, and the number of arrivals was 31,214.

The IOM said 41,196 migrants have arrived in Italy this year, up from around 31,000 in the same period last year.

Comments