Clashes erupt in northwest Syria after de-escalation zones take effect

Adjust Comment Print

Russian officials said it will be at least another month until the details are worked out and the safe areas established.

The Syrian government of President Bashar al-Assad is not a signatory, but its state news agency has said it supports the plan.

He says a cease-fire is unsustainable in the presence of the Iranian-backed militias in Syria, accusing them of also forcefully displacing people to replace them with a loyal population.

Syria has been gripped by civil war since March 2011 with various terrorist groups controlling parts of it.

The two generals agreed to maintain their "commitment to de-conflicting" their respective military operations in the war-ravaged country, Dunford spokesman Capt. Greg Hicks said in a brief statement.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said ISIS fighters withdrew from Tabqa and the nearby dam after reaching an agreement with the Syrian Democratic Forces to leave.

Rudskoi also told reporters that Russian Federation wanted to restore an agreement with the United States to coordinate air operations over Syria and reduce the risk of aircraft colliding.

"The United States itself has proposed to stop violence in the areas hit by the most severe clashes between the [Syrian] government and [the country's] armed opposition in order to create conditions for the safety of civilians".

"The reduction in violence must be clear and lasting", Observatory Director Rami Abdulrahman told Reuters.

Most armed rebel groups are considered terrorists by the regime.

And Syrian rebel groups have also not been party to the deal and have been critical of it. An official with Russia's military general staff said other countries may eventually have a role in enforcing them.

The text of the memorandum was published by the Russian Foreign Ministry on Saturday.

The Syrian Central Military Media reported that there was "relative calm" Saturday morning in the de-escalation zones, nine hours after the deal went into force.

No guns allowed at Trump's speech before NRA
To a cheering crowd, Trump said an "eight-year assault" on Second Amendment rights had come to a "crashing end" with his election. Trump also took aim at a potential political rival, Sen. "For too long, Washington has gone after law-abiding gun owners".

Rasheed said rebel-held Idlib province to the north of Hama was nearly completely quiet, but the attacks, which included barrel bombs, were focused on the northern Hama frontline area.

Abo Zayd says rebel leaders are now meeting to come up with a formal stance on the Russian proposal.

According to media reports, the plan allows for Russia, Turkey and Iran to continue fighting ISIL, as well as al-Qaeda-affiliated groups inside the safe zones.

United States and allied aircraft will be banned from flying over much of Syria as part of a deal struck by Iran, Russia and Turkey to foster a cease-fire in the Syrian war, a senior Russian diplomat said Friday. That arrangement was suspended last month after the U.S. Tomahawk missile barrage on a Syrian air base, fired in response to a deadly chemical gas attack in Syria that was blamed on Assad's government.

The zones appear meant to halt conflict in specific areas between government forces and rebels, and would potentially be policed by foreign troops.

"Jordan is taking part in the Astana talks as an observer and the deal was between three countries; Russia, Iran and Turkey", the official added.

A potential complication to implementing the plan is the crowded airspace over Syria.

The armed opposition delegation to the talks in the Kazakh capital of Astana said in a statement released early Saturday that the truce should include all Syria and not just specific areas.

Lavrentyev, whose remarks were carried by Russian news agencies, said USA -led coalition aircraft would be able to operate against Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) militants in specific areas, but the "de-escalation zones" were now closed to their flights. She added that US has concerns, including about Iran's "guarantor" role in the Kazakhstan deal.

The largest safe zone includes Syria's Idlib Province and adjoining districts of Hama, Aleppo, and Latakia provinces.

The second will encompass certain parts in the north of Homs province and the third will be comprised of some areas of Eastern Ghouta, outside of Damascus.

"By the end of the first day after the memorandum of understanding on establishing de-escalation zones came into force, all the warring sides are assessing the situation as stable", the ministry said. He said this was because Qaboun contained the al-Qaeda-linked group formerly known as the Nusra Front.

Comments