Venezuelans gear up for major march against Maduro

Adjust Comment Print

In the eastern district of Bello Monte, the PNB and National Guard managed to drive the demonstrators back, forcing hundreds of them to jump into the polluted Guaire River that flows through the city to escape the police assault.

Capriles, who has been banned by the government from holding political office for 15 years, has vowed to continue the protests, calling for further marches on Thursday.

Romero and Ramirez are the sixth and seventh people killed since protests began three weeks ago over the Supreme Court's decision to strip the opposition-controlled congress of its last remaining powers after a yearlong power battle. The protests trailed off with youths throwing rocks squaring off against security forces spraying tear gas.

According to Fox News, opposition to Maduro's administration are reaching a boiling point, and in response the Venezuelan president told uniformed militia members outside his palace that there would be a "gun for every militiaman". The security forces do nothing to stop them and themselves repress peaceful protesters, opponents say.

Venezuelan opposition leader and Governor of Miranda state Henrique Capriles speaks during an interview with Reuters in Caracas, Venezuela April 18, 2017.

Tens of thousands of people have taken to the streets to demand new presidential elections and the release of jailed opposition politicians.

The center-right opposition has called on the military - a pillar of Maduro's power - to turn on the president amid an economic and political crisis that has triggered severe food shortages, riots and looting. The BBC reported that Maduro had claimed that 30 people had been arrested.

"Today they attempted to take power by force and we defeated them again", said Maduro.

He said the opposition did not only stage protests in the east of the city, as it normally does, but also in typically pro-government western areas. Her face was covered in a white, sticky substance to protect herself from the noxious effects of tear gas. "We're fed up. We want elections to get Maduro out, because he's destroyed this country", said protester Ingrid Chacon, a 54-year-old secretary.

Governor calls for end to overbooking practices after United Airlines fiasco
The incident attracted a storm of negative publicity for United, as did their initial handling of it in the immediate aftermath. United has now seemingly admitted that it acted illegally in asking passengers who has already boarded to give up their seats.

"The opposition is trying to provoke a conflict but they aren't going to achieve their goal", said Marquez, wearing a shirt emblazoned with the eyes of the late Hugo Chavez, a symbol of revolutionary zeal in Venezuela.

"The US government, the state department, have given the green light, the approval for a coup process to intervene in Venezuela", Maduro said in a televised address Tuesday, according to The Guardian.

Maduro's opposition is also demanding new elections, which were indefinitely postponed previous year - mere months after Maduro also canceled a recall referendum that could have ousted him from power.

The recent spate of demonstrations have seen thousands of Venezuelans in the streets protesting their government.

"Same place, same time", said the opposition leader last night.

Foreign governments are also warning about the increasingly bellicose rhetoric and repressive stance of the government. The opposition blames the deaths on security forces and alleged paramilitary groups.

At a counter march of government supporters downtown, Energy Minister Luis Motta Dominguez told lines of protesters that reports about the young man were false.

The Organization of American States recently tried to declare Venezuela in violation of its democratic charter but was denied the necessary votes by Caribbean and Central American Nations that have depended for years on cheap Venezuelan oil.

Comments