US Defense Secretary Mattis addresses confusion over carrier

Adjust Comment Print

On April 11, Spicer confirmed that the Vinson strike force was "steaming out toward the Sea of Japan" to give the president "options in the region".

Two days after the announcement, North Korea expressed its fury at the USA carrier group's new orders, calling it "reckless acts of aggression".

The release didn't specify why the warships were bound for the region, but a spokesman clarified.

The Navy on April 8 said it was directing a naval strike group headed by the Vinson to "sail north", as a "prudent measure" to deter North Korea.

The Vinson group will bring a significant amount of firepower once it does arrive.

"If China decides to help, that would be great". Well the ships weren't there, we wouldn't have even been prepared to retaliate even though he told us we would do that, because the ships were there, but they weren't ...

At the time, however, Mattis gave the impression that the Vinson strike group was on its way to the Korean Peninsula.

The strike group has been conducting drills with the Australian navy in recent days, the official said, though it scrapped a planned port visit in Australia as a result of the new orders. "Very powerful", Trump told Fox Business Channel's Maria Bartiromo.

On Monday, Susan Thornton, acting assistant secretary of state, said at a briefing that the United States preferred to resolve this issue "through the peaceful denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula", adding that the United States was not after conflicts or "regime change". "I mean, North Korea has been engaged in a pattern of provocative behavior".

"Ya never know, do you?"

"That's all you're gonna say?"

"I understand strategic ambiguity for military authorities".

Syria war: Sarin used in Khan Sheikhoun attack, OPCW says
In a 2013 agreement brokered by Russian Federation and the United States , Syria agreed to destroy its chemical weapons. Israel, along with much of the worldwide community, believes that Assad's forces carried out the attack.

"I don't want to talk about it", he said. Last week President Trump said an "armada" was being sent.

Mystery persists over U.S. President Donald Trump's dispatch of an "armada" toward the Korean Peninsula, leaving many people here puzzled and concerned about defense coordination between the allies.

His remark stoked fears across East Asia that the USA was poised for a pre-emptive military strike.

'We have said again and again all parties need to work together to de-escalate the tension instead of being provocative because provocation can not achieve the goals, ' Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lu Kang said during a press conference on Wednesday. "We've got a powerful nuclear deterrent already in our hands, and we certainly will not keep our arms crossed in the face of a USA pre-emptive strike".

"Trump is always making provocations with his aggressive words", he said. "If that was a lie, then during Trump's term, South Korea will not trust whatever Trump says".

The U.S.is trying to ratchet up pressure on North Korea to abandon its nuclear weapons and ballistic missile programs.

In the early morning hours of April 16, following days of rumors of just such a test, the DPRK launched a missile that "blew up nearly instantly".

But after meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping earlier this month, Trump concluded that "it's not so easy".

U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley on Wednesday warned North Korea not to pick a fight with the U.S.

It would later be revealed that the ship did participate in those exercises with the Australian Navy.

It made no mention of the Sea of Japan or North Korea, though a US official told ABC News that the intended redirection of the Vincent was to the Sea of Japan east of the Korean Peninsula.

According to photos posted by the US Navy on its website, the strike group was transiting the Sunda Strait off the coast of Indonesia.

Comments