Monaco has no fear of Champions League semifinal opponent

Adjust Comment Print

And Dortmund coach Tuchel had few complaints, telling reporters: "We started well with one or two unsafe moves where we found some space and then conceded an unlucky goal".

Kylian Mbappe insists Monaco are not hoping to avoid any club in the semi-finals of the Champions League after knocking out Borussia Dortmund on Wednesday with a 6-3 aggregate victory.

Mendy and Mbappe then combined for Lemar to add his fourth assist of the knockout stages when he set up Falcao for the former Manchester United and Chelsea striker's 25th goal of the season.

With the hosts holding what seemed a comfortable lead, Dortmund needed three to send the tie to extra time and they began the fight back with three minutes gone in the second half. Dortmund's fans rallied to help their stranded Monaco counterparts by offering them a place to stay for free on Tuesday night, while Monaco's fans chanted for Dortmund for long spells during the rescheduled game.

Reus, who had missed the first leg with a hamstring injury, pulled a goal back within three minutes when he smashed a cross from Dembele into the top corner after the teenager had charged down the right.

At 31, Colombia forward Falcao is a relative veteran in this Monaco side and his experience in forward play complemented the penetrating runs and powerful dribbling of strike partner Mbappe.

Tuchel complained his players had been "completely ignored" but, after a 3-1 Bundesliga win over Eintracht Frankfurt on Saturday, the 43-year-old said the incident was out of his side's system before the trip to the Stade Louis II.

Bayern blasts referee after Champions League loss to Madrid
The Portugal forward had scored both goals in Madrid's 2-1 first-leg win in Germany last week. The Portuguese was clearly offside, but he controlled with his chest and swept home for 2-2.

"The police didn't let our team bus leave the hotel without giving the reason for around 20 minutes", Dortmund said on its official Twitter account.

The Germans regrouped at the interval, with Tuchel again switching formations as Marcel Schmelzer replaced Sahin at the start of the second half to fill in at left-back with Raphael Guerreiro shifting to midfield.

Monaco's young stars may have shone through over the two legs, but Dortmund have one of their own.

Dortmund boss Thomas Tuchel chose to make an attacking change after 26 minutes, when 19-year-old forward Ousmane Dembele replaced defender Erik Durm.

Monaco players celebrate Kylian Mbappe's team opening goal during the Champions League quarterfinal second leg soccer match between Monaco and Dortmund at the Louis II stadium in Monaco, Wednesday April 19, 2017.

This post was syndicated from The Nation Nigeria.

"What more could you ask for than to be in the semi-finals?"

Comments