First DREAMer To Be Deported Sues Trump Administration

Adjust Comment Print

In a lawsuit released Tuesday, lawyers for Juan Manuel Montes Bojorquez allege the 23-year-old was deported from California to Mexico on February 18 despite having active protection under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.

The Department of Homeland Security said Wednesday that Montes was entitled to be in the us until early next year under DACA, reversing its position a day earlier that his status had expired in August 2015 and wasn't renewed. The first immigrant deported under Trump with legal protections against deportation-known as a "DREAMer"-has launched legal action against the US government".

Days after taking office Trump promised to protect Daca beneficiaries, which include more than 750,000 undocumented immigrants, signalling they would escape his immigration crackdown. It grants them renewable two-year periods to stay, during which time they can study and work, if they keep out of trouble. According to his lawsuit, Montes suffered a traumatic brain injury when he was a child, which impaired his cognitive ability. But you have some absolutely, incredible kids, I would say mostly. "I liked it there more than here".

Montes, through a lawyer, said that the border patrol is hiding some facts, saying he was having a meal with a friend in Calexico when border agents apprehended him. He was visiting his girlfriend in the border town of Calexico, California when he was approached by Border Patrol and asked for his ID, which he didn't have with him.

Montes was reportedly deported to Mexico hours later, after agents told him he could not retrieve his documents. But if Montes is telling the truth, his deportation is the first reported case of someone with active DACA status being expelled from the country.

Curiel, an Obama appointee who was a former US attorney, did not recuse himself in the Trump University case he oversaw and made no public comments about Trump's attacks. He was deported again on February 20 "without any documentation or records of his removal", the complaint states. "There are no records or evidence to support MONTES-Bojorquez's claim that he was detained or taken to the Calexico Port of Entry on February 18, 2017", Lapan said. The organizations said at least 10 DREAMers are in federal custody.

United States carrier heading toward Korean Peninsula
Pence said after the meeting that Trump believes it is in America's interest to negotiate economic deals on a bilateral basis. The Trump administration is hoping that China will help rein in North Korea in exchange for other considerations.

Montes' attorneys, however, said they stand behind his account of the story.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions said earlier Wednesday that "DACA enrollees are not being targeted" by immigration officials. "And then this happens".

CBP told the paper it could not discuss Montes' case because of its privacy policy. White House spokesman Sean Spicer said Wednesday that he didn't want to "rush to judgment" about Montes and referred questions to Homeland Security.

An illegal immigrant who was covered under President Obama's DACA statute is speaking out after being deported by the Department of Homeland Security.

A lawsuit seeking records about Montes' deportation was assigned to U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel in San Diego, who last month approved an agreement for President Donald Trump to pay $25 million to settle cases alleging that his now-defunct Trump University misled customers.

An estimated 742,000 so-called Dreamers - those given protection under the program - live in the U.S. Roughly one out of three lives in California.

Comments