Borussia Dortmund team bus 'delayed without justification' by police in Monaco

Adjust Comment Print

After such a long journey to reach the Champions League semifinals, Monaco has no fear of who it plays next.

AS Monaco advanced to the semi-finals of the UEFA Champions League for the first time in 13 years on Wednesday after they beat Borussia Dortmund 3-1 in the second leg of their quarter-final clash to emerge 6-3 victors on aggregate.

The semifinal draw on Friday will include Monaco, Juventus, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid. Dortmund said their bus had been held up by police at their hotel for 20 minutes.

Kylian Mbappe needed only three minutes to compound Dortmund's misfortune and break the deadlock before Radamel Falcao added a second soon after.

Falcao has scored against 22 of the 24 teams he has faced in European competition (inc. qualifiers and Super Cups); only failing to score against Sevilla and Tottenham Hotspur.

Dortmund said the bus was stopped by police for 20 minutes, with kick-off then delayed by five minutes.

Tuchel said the incident evoked bad memories of last Tuesday's bus attack in Germany, when three explosions went off as the bus headed to the stadium for the home leg.

On the pitch, Dortmund conceded after just three minutes.

"We are not favourites, but we will have the ambition to qualify to the final".

Tuchel, who also said his side made too many mistakes in Wednesday's 3-1 second-leg defeat at Monaco, told BT Sport that the delay affected the team's focus.

Stay tuned here for highlights of goals and key plays throughout this match.

AR Supreme Court grants stay of execution for inmate Stacey Johnson
On Friday, Arkansas Judge Wendell Griffen halted the use of the third of the three execution drugs, vecuronium bromide. The state described the inmates' challenge as a last-minute delay that would "manipulate the judicial process".

Attack-minded left back Bernard Mendy - newly called up to the France team along with Mbappe - hit a fierce shot that goalkeeper Roman Burki spilled.

He had scored twice in the first leg and in both legs against Manchester City in the Round of 16.

Monaco made the most of that let-off and were 2-0 up in the 17th minute.

Reus pulled one back when he turned in a right-wing cross from substitute Ousmane Dembele to offer some hope, before Germain sprinted through to send Stade Louis II crowd into raptures.

Although the Spaniard was able to attend the return match in Monaco and sit with his squad on the bench as well as deliver the final part of what was most-likely an emotional team talk, there was to be no fairy-tale ending as the Ligue 1 leaders completed the job with another impressive victory. "We were not good enough but I don't want to criticise the players". We play attacking football.

"At this level you can not set limits for your players".

The 18-year-old was particularly effective for Monaco on the counter attack as Dortmund searched for a way back into the tie late on, before his replacement Germain put it beyond their reach following another Lemar assist.

Mbappe was sprung down the right channel moments later, but dragged his right-footed shot from an angle wide of the far post.

Germain put the result beyond doubt as he broke through down the right and slotted the ball under Burki's body.

"Eight days after the attacks you should not attach too much importance to the performance of the players", he said. "It wasn't a day for speaking about individuals".

Comments