Syria: 126 killed as bomb hits buses with evacuees, group says

Adjust Comment Print

A picture taken on April 16, 2017, shows the damage inside a bus a day after a suicide auto bombing attack in Rashidin, west of Aleppo, targeted busses carrying Syrians evacuated from two besieged government-held towns of Fuaa and Kafraya.

Rami Abdurrahman, who heads the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, and Hezbollah's Al-Manar TV, earlier said that 3,000 people will be evacuated from Foua and Kfarya, while 200, the vast majority of them fighters, will be evacuated from Zabadani and Madaya.

There has been no claim of responsibility for the attack which pro-Damascus media said was carried out by a suicide vehicle bomber.

The transfer deal is not being overseen by the United Nations which involves residents of the pro- government villages of Foua and Kfarya and the oppostion held towns of Madaya and Zabadani. "When the explosion happened I hugged them both and we fell to the floor", she said.

The blast ripped through a group of buses carrying about 5,000 Shi'ite residents of the villages of al-Foua and Kefraya in Idlib province, which rebel forces have placed under siege.

The evacuees were bound for regime-held parts of Aleppo.

Pope Francis also urged an end to the war in Syria as he presided over the traditional Easter mass in Rome.

BP Well In Alaska Spews Oil, Gas
The ADEC also said that two leaks have been identified at the well, one near the top and one further down the well assembly. It wasn't until Monday, however, that BP announced that the well had been killed and the oil had stopped flowing.

The evacuation process resumed after the bombing, the Observatory said, with the residents of Fuaa and Kafraya eventually arriving in Aleppo, Syria's second city which the government gained full control of a year ago.

It was not immediately clear if the evacuees feared attacks similar to Saturday's bombing.

While Syrian State TV is blaming rebel groups, the BBC reports that there is not enough evidence to determine who was behind the attacks, and no group has come forward to claim responsibility.

The evacuation deal was brokered by Qatar, a longtime supporter of Syrian opposition forces, and Iran, a key regime ally.

In eastern Syria, an airstrike by the USA -led coalition on the village of Sukkarieh near the border with Iraq killed eight civilians who had earlier fled violence in the northern province of Aleppo, according to Deir Ezzor 24, an activist collective, and Sound and Picture Organization, which documents IS violations.

Syria has been gripped by civil war since March 2011 with various terrorist groups, including Daesh (also known as ISIS or ISIL), now controlling parts of it.

Comments