Brazil construction firm ordered to pay $2.6B in bribe case

Adjust Comment Print

A USA judge has fined Brazil's Odebrecht, one of the largest construction conglomerates in Latin America, $2.6 billion over its role in a multinational bribery scandal.

Odebrecht, along with affiliated petrochemical company Braskem SA, pleaded guilty to USA bribery charges in December.

In a Brooklyn federal court proceeding Monday lasting only a few minutes, Dearie imposed the terms of the December deal between the company and prosecutors.

Odebrecht requested that the fine be halved after the prosecution demanded up to $4.6 billion in fines.

According to a former Odebrecht executive more than R$10.6 billion was paid in bribes by the company for benefits between the years of 2006 and 2014. The company will retain an independent compliance monitor.

The fine was part of a plea bargain deal struck between Brazilian, Swiss and USA authorities in December.

Leaked schematics show Apple's new handset
The schematics also point towards the device sporting a 5.768 display which is bigger than the iPhone 7 Plus's 5.5-inch panel. Apple's component suppliers are struggling with the iPhone 8's fingerprint sensor and it might cause major delay.

The charges against Odebrecht stemmed from a almost three-year investigation in Brazil into corruption at the state-run oil company Petrobras, which has led to dozens of arrests and political upheaval in Brazil.

The legal case was controlled by the United States as much of the bribes to secure contracts in 100 countries came through American banks, while some meetings took place in Miami. Prosecutors brought the case to Brooklyn because some of the bribes flowed through NY banks.

Dubbed "Operation Car Wash", the investigation has been underway for several years with dozens arrested and has already had implications for Brazil's political elite.

Eight of Temer's ministers were mentioned by executives of engineering group Odebrecht SA in plea bargain testimonies made public last week.

Temer said in a radio interview that the corruption scandal is "embarrassing" and may lead some ministers to step down. "They have to go, it's over", said PPK.

Comments