Bash: Trump's support of O'Reilly 'inappropriate'

Adjust Comment Print

The Times report was published online on Saturday - and O'Reilly has hosted two programs since the disclosures that numerous sexual harassment claims had been settled, including some within the past year.

Trump, 70, defended the anchor to The New York Times on Wednesday, stating that O'Reilly "shouldn't have settled". "Because you should have taken it all the way", said Trump.

It is unclear whether he meant that he doesn't believe the allegations or that he doesn't think offering women career advancement in exchange for sexual favors is wrong.

The number of ads that run on "The O'Reilly Factor" has been steadily declining as a growing amount of companies boycott the show amid the Fox News host's sexual harassment scandal. The producer who said he told her to buy a vibrator and called to describe sexual fantasies about her.

The television show is the top revenue producer for Fox News, generating over $178 million in advertising money in 2015, and $118.6 million in the first nine months of 2016.

The Times story said more than 60 people were interviewed, including current and former employees of Fox News or its parent company and people who know the women behind the complaints or are close to O'Reilly.

As of Wednesday, 35 advertisers have distanced themselves from "The O'Reilly Factor", most asking Fox News to move their commercials into other programs on the channel, which has the highest ratings in cable. They're taking a look at them because this really is a sexual harassment enterprise.

Mountain Lion Snatches Dog From Inside Peninsula Home: Sheriff's Office
She told NBC : 'As soon as I saw it walk out, I thought, 'That's a lion.' It was shocking'. Around 3 a.m., the woman said she woke up after the dog began to bark aggressively.

Diamond, a former host on Fox News and Fox Business, wrote on Twitter to Trump that she was "saddened reading your comments".

Just over 12 hours later, that number has almost doubled with The Huffington Post reporting that more than 40 advertisers have abandoned O'Reilly's sinking ship.

O'Reilly hasn't admitted any wrongdoing and said he settled for the sake of his family.

Nevertheless, Donald Trump said he felt "very badly for Ailes", and then he hired the accused sexual harasser to advise him during his presidential campaign.

Henry Holt, the publisher of O'Reilly's new book "Old School", has said it has "no comment at this time" on the allegations against its author.

There was a time when Bill O'Reilly could spin news of the sort piling up this week against him.

Comments