Argentine soccer fan dies after attack and fall over stadium's edge

Adjust Comment Print

His father, Raul Balbo, claimed that one of the persons involved in the death, Oscar "Sapito" Gomez, had previously killed another of his sons five years ago, who was aged just 14 at the time.

Global media report that the man, Emanuel Balbo, aged 22, had identified the person who had run over his brother by vehicle and the latter, to defend himself, indicated that Balbo supported the rival side.

Balbo was taken to hospital with severe head injuries and died on Monday morning, UPI reported.

"Here at Belgrano we are praying that Emanuel Balbo and Diego Frydman recover", the club said in a statement.

"The Argentine Football Association joins with the family of Emanuel Balbo in this hard and painful moment and strongly condemns the criminal action that occurred in the game between Belgrano and Talleres de Cordoba", it said in a statement. Balbo has been declared brain dead after he was chased down the terraces of a stadium and thrown from the bleachers.

[ 17th April 2017 ] Conte says Chelsea face six finals now Sport
The balance of the team was so much better amid the absence of Ibrahimovic, who has at times carried the squad this season. Sunday's demolition of Chelsea would have planted a seed of thought in Mourinho's head. "We'll bounce back.

Four people have been arrested over the attack, which was strongly condemned by the Argentine Football Association.

In a statement, it called for "the necessary measures so that incidents like this do not happen again in any Argentine football stadium". The report said police chief Jorge Sergio Gomez confirmed that the man was brain dead after he arrived at the hospital.

Barrabrava violence is endemic in the Argentine game with Balbo the 317th fatal victim since 1922, according to statistics published by the NGO Salvemos al Futbol (let's save football).

A ban on travelling fans at Argentine league matches has been in place since then in a bid to curb the violence.

Comments