North Korea defiant over nuclear test plan despite United States pressure

Adjust Comment Print

North Korea's vice foreign minister on Friday blamed President Donald Trump for escalating tensions on the Korean Peninsula through his tweets and expansion of military exercises, saying the US was becoming "more vicious and more aggressive" under his leadership than it had been under President Barack Obama.

North Korea has warned that a "big event" is near, and US officials say signs point to a nuclear test that could come as early as this weekend.

PYONGYANG, North Korea (AP) - North Korea's vice foreign minister on Friday blamed President Donald Trump for escalating tensions on the Korean Peninsula through his tweets and expansion of military exercises, saying the USA was becoming "more vicious and more aggressive" under his leadership than it had been under President Barack Obama.

North Korea's vice foreign minister says, "We will go to war" if the USA chooses to provoke it. But the heat has been rising rapidly since Trump took office in January.

It is also conducting its biggest-ever joint military exercises with South Korea.

Many experts believe North Korea could have a viable nuclear warhead and a ballistic missile capable of hitting the U.S. mainland within the next few years.

The North is believed to be developing an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) that could hit the United States, and its leader, Kim Jong Un, has vowed to test-launch one at any time. Despite reports that Washington is considering military action if the North goes ahead with another nuclear test, Han did not rule out the possibility of a test in the near future.

Trump has also said the United States is prepared to tackle the crisis without China, if necessary.

A clearly rattled China, under pressure from Trump to prevent any North Korean provocation, said the situation had reached breaking point.

The Nikkei business daily said government discussions included how to rescue the estimated 57,000 Japanese citizens in South Korea as well as how to cope with a possible flood of North Korean refugees coming to Japan, among whom might be North Korean spies and agents.

Vice Minister Han Song Ryol told The Associated Press that Trump's tweets were making trouble in the region. He cited not only the U.S.

North Korea's official name is the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

Trump has distilled the problem of Kim Jong-un's rogue nuclear-armed state into a situation whereby China is willingly slacking and forcing America to take action alone.

Alonso to skip Monaco to race Indy 500
Button remains under contract with McLaren after agreeing a two-year ambassadorial role, but he is yet to drive this year's auto . However, Alonso insisted Monaco would be the only F1 race he would miss intentionally this season.

"I think that was nothing more than lip service during the campaign to make himself more popular", Han said.

Mr Han said the situation on the Korean Peninsula is now in a vicious cycle. "Whatever comes from USA politicians, if their words are created to overthrow the DPRK system and government, we will categorically reject them".

Han said that in the face of such actions, North Korea "will go to war if they choose".

In an exclusive interview with The Associated Press in Pyongyang, Vice Minister Han Song Ryol also warned the USA against provoking North Korea militarily. "Whatever comes from the USA, we will cope with it".

"One has the feeling that a conflict could break out at any moment", Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi said. "[China's] influence has actually diminished", said China Institute of International Studies executive vice president Ruan Zongze at an April. 12 All-China Journalists' Association invitational event.

"Once a war really happens, the result will be nothing but multiple-loss. No one can become a victor".

"As the nuclear tests and THAAD show, neither South nor North [Korea] is listening to China", Ruan said.

The ministry issued a statement saying North Korea will face strong punishment it will find hard to withstand if it makes a significant provocation, such as another nuclear test or an ICBM launch.

Trump also flexed his military muscle last week by ordering cruise missile strikes on a Syrian airbase the United States believed was the origin of a chemical weapons attack on civilians in a northern Syria town.

Separately on Twitter he expressed confidence China, Pyongyang's sole ally, would "properly deal with North Korea".

Even without nuclear weapons, the North could cause severe damage and casualties with its conventional artillery batteries aimed at the South Korean capital of Seoul.

The Saturday anniversary may provide the world with a look at some of that arsenal. Expectations are high the North may put its newest missiles on display during a military parade that could be held to mark the event.

Comments