Iraqi detained in connection with Dortmund bus blast 'fought for IS'

Adjust Comment Print

Three devices exploded on Tuesday as Dortmund footballers were travelling to a match against Monaco in a UEFA Champions League quarter-final first leg tie.

The Spaniard underwent surgery following injuries to his wrist and arm after three explosions shattered a window of the bus ahead of Tuesday's scheduled Champions League quarterfinal against Monaco in Dortmund.

German investigators are looking into the possible involvement of Islamist militants or anti-Nazi activists in blasts that hit a bus carrying players from soccer club Borussia Dortmund, media reported on Wednesday.

Marc Bartra says pride is his overwhelming emotion four days on from the bomb attack on the Borussia Dortmund team bus that caused him to suffer the longest 15 minutes of his life.

Manager Thomas Tuchel revealed after the game that his team were not given the option to delay any further after they were informed by text that the game had been rearranged.

Tuchel said his team felt ignored by European football's governing body UEFA after they were made to play less than 24 hours after the attack. "We all felt at the start of the match that this wasn't a normal game for us". We were treated as if a beer can was thrown at the bus. "That gives you a feeling of powerlessness". The second leg is being played next Wednesday in Monaco.

Dozens of IS militants killed by USA bomb - Afghan officials
Wali said dozens of other villagers also came out of homes and later he went near the border, where he met with other residents. It was first tested in 2003, but the Nangarhar strike represented the first time the huge weapon has been used in combat.

"We were not attacked on the field by an opponent; we were attacked from inside the bus as men", Tuchel said in a post-match broadcast interview with former Norway global Jan Aage Fjortoft. "We think about them (Dortmund) of course but we have to carry on and that will happen".

"We would have wanted to have more time to digest all of this". It was close but also very far from us.

Klopp, who spent seven years at the Bundesliga club and signed numerous players who are still there, said: "Everyone can imagine it was a really hard moment for me". Obviously there are a few people around who have new ideas and can you be prepared for that?

"Up until kickoff, I had everything in my head, just not soccer", Dortmund midfielder Nuri Sahin said. "I don't know if people can understand this, but until I was on the pitch, in the second half, I didn't think about football to be honest", he said.

He said: "I am like all the other football fans in the world but the only difference is I know all of them so it makes it more hard for me".

We can never know how much this week's trauma affected its performance, but considering the events of the last 24 hours, Dortmund's response, as a club, and its fan community, has been phenomenal.

Comments