Former Afghan president calls decision to drop massive USA bomb "treason"

Adjust Comment Print

"Fortunately there is no report of civilians being killed in the attack", he added.

"The number of Daesh fighters killed in the USA bomb in Achin district jumped to 94, including four commanders", Nangarhar provincial spokesman Attaullah Khogiani told CNN, using an alternative name for ISIS.

The statement by the spokesperson for the governor of Nangarhar came after an Afghan Ministry of Defense official said on Friday that ongoing clearance and assessment of the bomb site in the Achin district of Nangarhar indicated that the number of dead could rise.

U.S Forces on Thursday night dropped a Massive Ordnance Air Blast (MOAB) bomb on Achin district in Nangarhar.

The most recent operation began in March and continued until troops hit Islamic State fighters entrenched in booby-trapped tunnels in a remote mountain region, leading commanders to call for the use of the GBU-43 bomb. Addressing a gathering in capital Kabul, Karzai said that allowing the U.S.to carry out the bombing was "treason" and an insult to Afghanistan.

Fighting between Afghan forces and so-called ISIS militants has escalated in the past weeks, with numerous skirmishes and gunfights confirmed.

"As [ISIS'] losses have mounted, they are using IEDs, bunkers, and tunnels to thicken their defense", Gen. John Nicholson, commander of US forces in Afghanistan, said in a statement.

U.S. open to further action on Syria: White House
There was some agreement this morning: Both Tillerson and Haley said that ISIS needs to be defeated first, as a threshold matter. Tillerson said in an appearance on ABC that the U.S.' stance on regime change from before the strike on Syria had not changed.

The bomb destroyed three underground tunnels, weapons and ammunition, but no civilians were hurt, CNN reported, citing US and Afghan officials.

White House press secretary Sean Spicer said the bomb had "targeted a system of caves that Isis fighters use to move freely around, making it easier for them to target USA military advisors and Afghan forces in the area". United States and Afghan forces had been unable to advance because ISIS - which has expanded into Afghanistan in recent years - had mined the area with explosives.

His strong words could signal a broader political backlash that may endanger the USA military mission in Afghanistan.

"All victims of the attack were innocent civilians including women and children", he said.

The US attack on the tunnel complex near the Pakistan border killed at least four ISIL leaders, Mr Khogyani said.

A statement by the provincial government said Bati Kot district chief Haji Ghalib was injured after an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) planted on a roadside went off in Jani Khel area.

Last November, Mujahid was attacked by a sticky bomb attached to the vehicle and he was wounded and his driver was killed.

Comments