Sunday's first bombing at the Mar Girgis church in Tanta city north of Cairo killed 28 people, the health ministry said.
At least 17 people were killed at St. Mark's Cathedral in Alexandria, the historic seat of Christendom in Egypt, where Pope Tawadros II was leading Palm Sunday prayers. In Alexandria, 18 civilians and four police officers were killed when a suicide bomber blew himself up outside a Coptic church, Al-Ahram said.
"Everyone is falling short. the government, the people. nothing is good", Adly added, expressing anger at what she said was the state's failure to keep them safe on one of their holiest days. "Thank God it is a Sunday, and many shops are closed", Butter said. Christians make up about 10 percent of Egypt's 90-million population, making it the state with the largest Christian minority in the Middle East. "We entrust all those who suffer and who have perished into the arms of the crucified and Risen Christ", he said. "How does it help me feel protected going into church?" The second blast came off, two hours later, in Alexandrian killing at least 16 people, outside the church.
Copts in Egypt have faced persecution and discrimination that has spiked since the toppling of Hosni Mubarak's regime in 2011. "I didn't realize what's happening until I saw blood and organs of our friends scattered over the ground", Saeed told CNN.
"I don't feel secure at all". In December, an attack at a Coptic church in Cairo killed 25 people. At the time, some observers suspected Mubarek's interior minister, General Habib Al-Adly, of complacency in the New Year's Day attacks on Saints church in Alexandria.
Egypt is battling an ISIS affiliate in its northern Sinai Peninsula, a battle that appears to be faltering, and is a member of the USA -led coalition fighting ISIS in Iraq and Syria.
China seeks Russia's help to 'cool' North Korea situation
Navy fired 59 Tomahawk missiles at a Syrian airfield last week in response to a deadly gas attack, raising questions about U.S. An official from South Korea's defence ministry could not immediately confirm whether the rocket was a new ICBM.
China also strongly condemned the terrorist attacks.
Along with others, the Pope expressed his grief after the church attack.
No official word yet from the authorities regarding the identity or nationalities of the people behind the two attacks in Egypt on Sunday, April 9.
The Egyptian cabinet Monday approved Sisi's declaration of a three-month state of emergency in the country, allowing police and the security forces "to execute those procedures necessary to combat the threats of terrorism. maintain security around the country and protect public and private property, as well as preserving the lives of citizens". The US State Department also issued a rebuke, calling the bombings "barbaric attacks on Christian places of worship".
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said after the attacks that Israel was sending its condolences to the families of those who were murdered and wishes a speedy recovery to the wounded. "The world must unite and fight terrorism everywhere", he said.




Comments