Venezuela protesters target Maduro, vow to keep up pressure

Adjust Comment Print

We urge President Maduro to reconsider the decision to bar Capriles and ensure Venezuelans can exercise their right to elect their representatives in free and fair elections in accordance with the Venezuelan constitution and consistent with global instruments, including the Inter-American Democratic Charter. A few threw rocks as they tried to make their way downtown waving Venezuelan flags and carrying signs decrying President Nicolas Maduro.

Monday's planned march is the latest in a series of anti-government protests held in Venezuela since a controversial decision by the country's Supreme Court to strip the National Assembly of its legislative powers.

The opposition is demanding a date for gubernatorial elections, meant to be held previous year, and is seeking early presidential elections.

Maduro's government has said that a USA -backed business elite is responsible for Venezuela's economic downturn and that it is trying to foment a coup to impose right-wing rule. The opposition called for another nationwide march on Saturday.

"It's time to ask ourselves seriously and responsibly if civil disobedience, peaceful demonstrations, and fair complaints directed at national and global bodies are the valid and opportune path forward", the bishops said. "But violence and use of force will not resolve the current crisis".

In some demonstrations government groups have roughed up several opposition leaders and fired rubber bullets and a previously unseen reddish gas at crowds. One day a small group of young protesters unsuccessfully tried to set fire to a Supreme Court office, and another group snatched a camera from journalists working for pro-government state broadcaster VTV.

PM Modi to meet Australian PM for delegation level talks
Australia has about 40 per cent of the world's uranium reserves and exports almost 7,000 tonnes of yellow cake annually. Turnbull reiterated Australia's support for India's membership of the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation forum (APEC).

"They can do whatever they want, but the people of Venezuela will today make their voices heard on the streets", tweeted opposition lawmaker Juan Requesens, who has led protests this week. A degraded pyrotechnic charge propelling the cartridge could also lead to uncontrolled explosions, he said.

Interior Minister Nestor Reverol said 18 people had been detained during the protests, which coincided with the usually vacation-focused Easter week holiday.

"The Bolivarian government stands by its commitment to guarantee the tranquility and social wellbeing of our people", he said in announcing the detentions.

The government has come under increased pressure from American and European countries that have condemned violence in Venezuela and the ban on Capriles.

The statement said the barring of opposition leader Henrique Capriles from running for office for 15 years "does not help to lower the unrest and the tensions in the country".

Popular singer Miguel Ignacio Mendoza, known as Nacho, was among those affected by tear gas in Caracas Monday.

Comments