Spokesman: 2 students wounded were not targeted

Adjust Comment Print

"Far too often in our country and throughout the world, we gather to report this news of tragic events that take place", San Bernardino Mayor R. Carey Davis said.

He entered a special education classroom of first to fourth graders at North Park Elementary and told the staff at the front desk that he was dropping something off for his wife, Karen Smith, who teaching in the classroom.

"Especially after December 2 we actually took a closer look at all of our campuses and what we can do to increase student security and campus safety".

Police said the two students who were shot were not targeted and were instead hit "because of their proximity to the victim".

All other students were safe and they were being taken to a local college campus, according to school officials. Jonathan Martinez, a student who was behind Smith, later died.

Officials say a man went to visit the classroom and it was inside where he opened fire, fatally shooting the female instructor.

Burguan said preliminary information indicates the two were recently married.

North Park Elementary has about 600 students in kindergarten through sixth grades, according to The Associated Press. An 8-year-old later died. One woman told KABC that she had seen her granddaughter as she boarded a bus to be driven to one of the pickup sites.

Bruins sign McAvoy to three-year contract
Torey Krug suffered a lower-body injury against the Senators on Thursday and was seen walking with the aid of crutches Saturday at TD Garden.

She said she knew her daughter was safe because she had heard from others that authorities had already contacted parents of the wounded children.

Two children are said to have been wounded before the gunman turned the weapon on himself, shooting himself dead.

According to Burguan, they believe that the gunman was among those who were possibly down.

Three people have been killed and one more injured in a school shooting incident in Southern California's San Bernardino.

San Bernardino City Unified School District spokeswoman Maria Garcia told news station KNBC-TV that the incident was believed to be a domestic dispute.

The elementary school was immediately evacuated and the students were transferred to a nearby school where their relatives were waiting for them.

The shooting comes less than two years after the 2015 San Bernardino terror attack, in which 14 people were killed and 22 others were injured.

Comments