Western Force take legal action against ARU over Super Rugby cutback

Adjust Comment Print

"The ARU will undertake due process to ensure that both the Melbourne Rebels and Western Force are given adequate opportunity to present their business case before the board makes a final decision on which team to be removed", Clyne said in a statement.

A writ against the governing body was lodged on Monday evening, Western Australia's rugby body said, notifying the ARU of the intention to apply for an injunction against any plan to revoke the Perth-based team's licence.

The ARU on Monday said it would be either the Force or Rebels, meaning the ACT Brumbies, NSW Waratahs and Queensland Reds were safe, with Japan's maligned Sunwolves joining the Australian conference.

Western Force are taking legal action against the Australia Rugby Union ahead of a decision on whether they or the Melbourne Rebels will be cut from Super Rugby next season.

"I can't comprehend how an Australian rugby administration would not stand up to SANZAAR and protect the interests of Australian rugby, not Japanese rugby", he told New Zealand's Radio Sport. "The additional funding provided by the ARU to offset Super Rugby losses has severely limited our capacity to invest further in our grassroots and high performance areas such as player and coach development".

"Sadly it is very clear to me now that we can not sustain five teams either from a financial perspective or a high-performance perspective", Pulver said.

Pacers beat 76ers 120-111 to close in on playoff spot
Indiana C Al Jefferson aggravated his sprained left ankle in practice Sunday and missed his seventh straight game. The Sixers never led, but cut a 21-point first-quarter deficit to five in the third.

The decision was reached at a meeting of SANZAAR, which is made up of the South African, Australian, Argentinian and New Zealand unions, in London last month and, in the absence of an announcement, speculation raged over which teams would go.

"These issues are tough", Pulver said.

"Those two variables alone have an impact on revenue and will have forever".

South African Rugby have embarked on "internal consultations" over which teams they will cut, although the Port Elizabeth-based Kings and Bloemfontein side the Cheetahs are most vulnerable.

"Going back to the three-conference, 15-team setup we think is the best thing".

Comments