New Zealand volcano still too unsafe to remove bodies

Adjust Comment Print

Police Deputy Commissioner John Tims earlier said thirteen people are believed killed and others are fighting for their lives with serious burns after the devastating White Island eruption - and experts are warning of more volcanic activity.

Adelaide lawyer Gavin Dallow, his partner Lisa Hosking and 15-year-old Zoe Hosking are among the missing. He was so kind, Mr Bonne said, that he would often leave extra money at the grocery store for those he knew were struggling to pay.

This aerial view shows a group of tourists at the crater's rim before it erupted.

One of three South Australians missing after the New Zealand eruption is alive and in hospital. He was unsure of the exact time someone last set foot on the island yesterday but would "strongly suggest" that no one on the island had survived.

A famed tourist attraction, the White Island volcano is one of several in New Zealand and thousands that encircle the Pacific. Authorities believe another eight bodies remain on the island but say it's too unsafe to recover them.

"We are all equally committed to a solution that gets us safely on the island so we can recover people that we believe to be deceased on the island and return those people after the DVI [disaster victim identification] process to their whānau".

It is understood White Island tour operators potentially fines of NZ$1.5 million if found liable under health and safety laws but it will be a long time before any prosecutions begin, if they do go ahead. Thirty people were injured and are now receiving treatment in hospital with 25 of them in a critical condition.

Dr Peter Watson, clinical director at Middlemore Hospital in Auckland told reporters at a press conference Wednesday that the disaster produced an "unprecedented number" of burn victims for the New Zealand medical system, according to Sky News.

Reasons Not to Install Galaxy S10 Android 10 & 9 Reasons You Should
Based on the previous leaks and rumors, the Galaxy A71 will feature a 6.7-inch Infinity-O AMOLED display and Android 10 OS. The beta community manager has also confirmed that the Galaxy Fold is not going to get the beta version.

A total of 30 people are now receiving treatment in hospitals across New Zealand.

The police have announced a criminal investigation into how the eruption led to the deaths.

Jesse Langford (pictured) has also not been heard from since the eruption.

"They want to bring people's loved ones home", Ardern said.

Six deaths had been confirmed as of late Tuesday.

The first victim to be identified was tour guide Hayden Marshall-Inman, a local of nearby town Whakatane, who has been named by his brother on Facebook.

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said 11 Australians are unaccounted for and 13 were hospitalised.

The nation is situated right on top of the dreaded Ring of Fire - the largest and most active fault line in the world, stretching from New Zealand, around the east coast of Asia, over to Canada and the U.S. and all the way down to the southern tip of South America and causes more than 90 percent of the world's earthquakes. It raised the alert level to 4 for a time after Monday's eruption but lowered it to 3 as the activity subsided.

Comments