Utah mayor, guard member killed by trainee in Afghanistan

Adjust Comment Print

The site went on to describe the "profound influence" Taylor had on the community, a city of more than 17,000 people about 45 miles north of Salt Lake City.

Swanson told Fox 13 that Taylor was a "one of a kind" man.

Taylor's death was mourned by Utah Lieutenant Governor Spencer Cox, who wrote that the Afghan war "has once again cost us the best blood of a generation". My prayers and love are with Jennie and his seven young children. "His service will always be remembered", Hatch said.

The Facebook posts, which showed photos of Taylor while deployed, were an example of the way in which he kept people connected, residents said.

"In the coming days", Sen.

Friends described Taylor as a passionate and outgoing mayor who was continually looking for new ways to serve his country and his state.

Taylor is the first known sitting mayor in state history to leave for wartime service in Utah, the report said.

Taylor was a longtime member of the Utah National Guard, and in January, he was deployed to Afghanistan.

Herbert in a statement says Taylor gave "the ultimate sacrifice" and was a "brave and selfless soldier". We must rally around his sweet family'.

United Kingdom backs U.S. calls to end Saudi-led war in Yemen
The coalition has waged an extensive air campaign, causing thousands of deaths. "The situation is dire and we don't know what our fate will be", he said.

The Afghan government now controls or influences 55.5% of the country's districts, marking the lowest level recorded since the special inspector general for Afghan reconstruction began tracking district control in November 2015, the report said.

"Believe me, they're hurt by this as well", said Burton.

Taylor was supposed to return home and resume his post as mayor in January.

"We are devastated by the loss of our mayor and friend, Brent Taylor", according to a statement on the North Ogden City Facebook page. "Service is really what leadership is all about".

We are deeply saddened to announce the death of a Utah National Guard service member in an apparent insider attack in Kabul, Nov. 3, 2018.

The insider attack is the third in less than a month on North Atlantic Treaty Organisation by allied Afghan forces.

"Initial reports indicate the attacker was a member of the Afghan National Defense and Security Forces", Resolute Support revealed in an official press release."Initial reports also indicate the attacker was immediately killed by other Afghan Forces".

The statement, issued by officials with Operation Resolute Support - the main USA and NATO-led training mission Afghanistan - declined to officially comment where the attack took place or what unit the attacker was attached to. Another U.S. service member is being treated for wounds sustained in the attack, American military officials said.

RS also said the incident was under investigation. He is survived by his wife, Jennie, and their seven children.