Water park closes after surfer dies from 'brain-eating' bacteria

Adjust Comment Print

The agency is testing for Naegleria (nee-GLEHR'-yah) fowleri (FOW'-lur-eye), colloquially known as a "brain-eating amoeba".

Mr Parsons said Mr Stabile had been in the park's wave pool.

Stabile died at the Atlantic City Medical Center in New Jersey on September 21, days after returning home from Texas, NJ.com reported.

Stabile was immediately rushed to the hospital in Pleasantville, New Jersey, where doctors first believed his brain swelling and fever symptoms were caused by bacterial meningitis.

Officials with the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention are testing the Waco surf resort's water for Naegleria fowleri, KBTX reported. He died at a hospital in Atlantic City on September 21.

The infection, which can cause a deadly infection called primary amoebic meningoencephalitis, usually occurs when contaminated water enters a person's nose, the CDC said.

The amoeba is typically found in fresh water, especially warmer water such as lakes, rivers and hot springs.

Sturridge's Stunning Goal Leaves Rüdiger Lost For Words
Arsenal legend, Ian Wright, has predicted the scoreline of the Premier League game between Chelsea and Liverpool on Saturday. Daniel Sturridge's stunning last-minute equaliser against his former club rescued a point for Liverpool in dramatic fashion.

Naegleria fowleri infections are rare.

The Waco McLennan County Public Health District said that the CDC tested water at BSR and that results from the test would come out later this week.

BSR Cable Park owner Stuart E. Parsons Jr. said it will continue to comply with requests related to the investigation of Fabrizio Stabile's death.

He said the surf resort, which operates an artificial man-made wave, is in compliance with the CDC's "guidelines and recommendations concerning Naegleria fowleri".

According to the CDC, there have only been 143 diagnosed cases of the parasite in the 56 years since it was discovered.

Stabille's cerebrospinal fluid tested positive for the infection, but it was too late to administer the drug, according to the GoFundMe Page.

Comments