He quickly took them out and went to seek help, but when he returned, apparently the AirPod had apparently burst open and showed "flame damage".
Technology gets stranger and at times, more risky by the day.
"It was already popped", he said.
Colon says he noticed white smoke started billowing out of the right AirPod during his session. "You can see the flame damage", Colon told Florida's local Channel 8 News on Thursday. Colon was obviously thankful that he had removed the right AirPod before it exploded. I didn't see it happen, but I mean, it was already fried! But I'm sure since it hangs down, it could've been earlobe. "Earlobe could've been burnt".
College student says airline made her flush prized hamster down toilet
So Aldecosea eventually flushed Pebbles - a support hamster she had gotten after a cancer scare the previous year. The student is contemplating a lawsuit against Spirit and has hired attorney Adam Goodman to fight her case.
Still, Colton's otherwise harrowing experience is merely the latest in a seemingly endless string of product-related fires, and follows multiple previous reports of iPhone battery explosions in various parts of the world, including Valencia, Spain, Zurich Switzerland, Hong Kong, and even another, iPhone 7-related burning incident in nearby Orlando, Florida. The energy then causes an increase in temperature resulting in more energy release.
These were caused by manufacturing issues, including poor welding at the battery manufacturer.
Colon thinks it was faulty battery. This is the first time we've heard of AirPods exploding, so it doesn't appear to be a widespread issue that would warrant a recall. Apple has announced an investigation after a man's AirPods exploded during his routine workout.
We've contacted the company for further comment, and will update this story with any response.