3 dead, 2 injured after helicopter crashes into house in Newport Beach

Adjust Comment Print

At least three people have been killed after a helicopter crashed into a home in California.

John Wayne Airport identified the helicopter model as a Robinson 44.

Newport Beach fire Captain Chip Duncan says it's unclear whether the three people who were killed were on board the Robinson R44. Three passengers died and two others taken to hospital, while residents of the house were unharmed.

It crashed into the home in the 40 block of Egret Court around 1:45 p.m., according to Newport Beach fire and FAA officials.

One accident, involving the same make and model of helicopter involved in Tuesday's crash, had a problem on takeoff last July and came down hard at the airport.

Police say there were four people on board on the helicopter when it crashed.

"It was like a train hitting a wall", Los Angeles Times quoted a witness, Paddi Faubion, who was inside her home, as saying. It was not clear if anyone survived the crash.

Nick Foles' emotional answer about playing for his daughter is everything
Back at the start of Eagles camp, Foles said about fatherhood , "It's the greatest thing in the world". Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Nick Foles answers questions during a media availability Tuesday.

Roger Johnson told the news station he was painting a birdhouse in his garage, about 50 yards away from the affected home, when he heard the crash and saw a piece of metal fly through the air.

Neither Spitzer nor Revolution Aviation responded to messages Wednesday morning.

Spitzer said he was surprised by the incident, especially since his company had just had the aircraft's electronic systems updated.

On social media, residents pointed out that this has been the third helicopter crash in Southern California over the previous year.

Another incident happened December 26 and involved a Cessna, but little information has been released by the NTSB. A woman was home at the time, but was in the kitchen and did not suffer any injuries. The pilot and passenger weren't hurt.

The NTSB and Federal Aviation Authority are investigating into what might have caused the crash.