The Buffalo Bills center released a formal statement through the team on Friday afternoon confirming his career-ending neck injury.
Wood played nine seasons, dressing for 120 games, with the Buffalo Bills.
Wood tweeted that the consultation with several physicians resulted in his being told he would not be cleared to play football even if he had surgery or other treatment.
Wood also expressed his appreciation for people's thoughts and prayers.
DOJ tells Nunes release of memo would be 'reckless'
This week, Assistant Attorney General Stephen Boyd - a political appointee - sent off a letter to the conspiracy addicted Rep. The "secret memo" was written by staffers for Republican Devin Nunes , the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee.
"We finished the season with some momentum and obviously Sunday didn't turn out the way we wanted, but there's a lot to build on", Wood said earlier this month.
The 31-year-old blocker, selected to the Pro Bowl all-star game in 2015, started 120 of his National Football League appearances with the Bills, including every game of the 2017 campaign. Buffalo, of course, is coming off of a playoff appearance that snapped the longest drought in professional sports. Last summer, the Bills signed Wood to a two-year contract extension that ran through the end of the 2019 season. He has an $8.6 million cap number in 2018 that includes a $4.8 million base salary that is guaranteed for injury. Wood has also shown in the past that he has a great sense of humor. Ryan Groy is in line to replace him going into the offseason.