Bush joined Stephen Colbert Monday night for his first interview since his co-star on the tape, Donald J. Trump, became President of the United States. On Monday, he voiced his concerns about Trump's denial of the tape on air, just hours after he penned a New York Times op-ed regarding the situation.
Bush, who is related to both President George H.W. Bush and President George W. Bush, seized the opportunity to set the record straight by calling out the president's deflection of culpability. "Like I said ... you can't say that ... that is your voice ..."
Bush then went on to say: "Then you got 20 women at the time - I don't know what the exact number is because there is more - but 20 women who used their names". That is your voice. So you can imagine what he thinks of reports that Trump has been privately saying he doesn't think that it's his voice on the bus audio.
Colbert made Bush slightly uncomfortable when he said that they would be showing the infamous Access Hollywood tape during the interview.
"I said, 'Twenty women don't get together and say, "You know what would be really fun, let's take down a powerful guy together."' No, they don't", Bush said. An anonymous source told The New York Times last week that, in January, Trump mentioned he had doubts about the authenticity of the "Access Hollywood" tape, and reportedly told a Republican senator, "We don't think that was my voice".
"If I thought there was a man detailing a sexual assault strategy to me, I would have contacted the Federal Bureau of Investigation and not just brought it to the attention of my producers", Bush told host Stephen Colbert". "Let's take down a powerful guy together!" Haha.' No, they don't.
Saudi-Led Coalition Provides Air Support for Yemen's Saleh
Saleh ruled Yemen for more than three decades until he was forced to resign following an Arab Spring uprising in 2011. The wider Yemen conflict pits the Houthi-Saleh alliance against the Saudi-backed government of Hadi.
"Enough's enough. stop playing around with people's lives", he said, referring to Trump's latest alleged private suggestion that it was not him on the 2005 tape.
"The (Access Hollywood) bus was the tip of the iceberg", Bush said. The very day he was swearing in as the 45th president of the United States, I was checking in to this soul-searching retreat in St. Helena, California.
"It was a gut punch, and it is a gut punch now, and it will always be", Bush said.
"It was the beginning of me saying, 'All right, get up, stop being sorry for yourself, stop worrying about these things. He gets going and I don't think he really knows", he said. "If I had thought there was a man detailing a sexual assault strategy to me, I would have called the Federal Bureau of Investigation, not just reported it to my executive producer". "And I said I appreciated it and I accepted it and thanked him".
Colbert askedBush about the apparent irony of NBC firing him for his role in the situation, but continuing to employ longtime "Today" host Matt Lauer.
When it comes to the national conversation of victims reporting sexual abuse and harrasment, he said, "Women must be believed". "I'm anxious that the dialogue isn't going to be around because we move onto the next thing". Colbert shot back a quick joke: "But where was that ring?"